Chapter 5

"Merle! Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel! Let's stew 'em up." Daryl shouted, as Briony trailed behind him. Some of the women who Briony hadn't quite gotten to know yet stood just outside the Caravan in the shade, watching Daryl.

"Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you." Shane spoke from behind us, Briony gave him a warm smile as she stood next to her brother watching Shane approach them wiping the sweat off his top lip.

"About what?" Daryl asked beside her.
"About Merle. There was a... There was a problem in Atlanta." Shane answered, turning to look at Briony and Daryl. Hands placed on his hips. Everyone was gathered around the two. Briony was confused as she watched her brother look around at everyone.

"What?" Briony gasped, she was upset with Shane and with the rest of the group for not telling her.
"He dead?" Daryl asked, moving away from her slightly.
"We're not sure." Shane responded.
"He either is or he ain't!" Daryl shouted, Briony could see the frustration and anger in his face.

She knew that when he got like this there was no turning back. It seemed that his temper had worsened now the world had turned to shit.

"No easy way to say this, so I'll just say it." The other sheriff popped up, walking to the centre of the circle. Who the hell was this guy? Briony gave him the dirtiest look when he approached them.

"Who are you?" Daryl spat, also giving the stranger a nasty look. Briony looked at Shane who looked back at her and his expressions dropped when he read the disappointment all over her face. This is what he didn't want.

"Rick Grimes." The guy called 'Rick' answered bluntly looking at the siblings.

"Rick Grimes, you got something you want to tell me?" Daryl started to get closer to Rick as he spoke, Briony placed her hand on his arm as this used to calm him down when he got angry but he shrugged her off like a fly on his shoulder.

She was taken a back and decided to step back and not say a word. She thought it was best to stay out of it and let Daryl handle the situation.

"Your brother was a danger to us all, so I handcuffed him on a roof, hooked him to a piece of metal. He's still there." Rick explained, Briony glared at Shane and back at Rick. Still saying nothing.

"Hold on. Let me process this. You're saying you handcuffed my brother to a roof and you left him there?" Daryl shouted, pacing back and forwards staring at Rick.

"Yeah." Briony saw Daryl's face change, his lips started to tremble, his eyes went red and she stepped back.

Daryl grunted and threw the string of squirrels at Rick but failing as he ducked out of the way. He went to lunge for Rick but Shane tackled him to the ground. Briony's breathing started to increase, this all happened so quickly and she had no idea what to do.

"Hey!" Briony heard a black guy behind her shout and he dropped logs of wood onto the floor as he ran over to help. Daryl quickly reached into his pocket and pulled out a knife.

"Watch the knife." Shane warned as Daryl got up and tried throwing a few stabs at Rick, obviously Rick dodging them all. Not because her brother was terrible at fighting but because Rick was trained in this sort of combat.

Rick grabbed the knife off of Daryl and Shane got up behind him and got him into a chokehold. This is where Briony started to get pissed off, she had to protect her family and Shane was taking it too far.

"Okay. Okay." Shane spoke as he tried to lower him to the ground.

"You'd best let me go!" Daryl shouted, Briony's blood started to boil and she didn't wanna see her brother suffer.
"Okay, fucking let go of him now!" Briony shouted, people started to look at her as she shouted and she glared at multiple people.