Saving Mason: Part Two

Heyyyy! What's this? Actually posting the second part when I said I would? Wow, no one on earth saw that one coming! lol. Anyway, I didn't get in everything I wanted to in this part because the characters took the story and ran with it - so if you WANT a part three let me know and I'll see what I can do (but no promises because we all know how that works out for me) but yeah! 

This is the second part to a request from@Personwholovesfruit  (it's still not tagging you I DON'T understand how this works it appears) and I hope I did well haha ^-^;  

Warnings: Mentions of suicidal thoughts, abuse, bullying, self-deprecation, small mentions of eating disorder? unintentional rudeness, mentions of death, blaming oneself for things out of their control. 

OKAY

Here we GO!

If you went to Sanders highschool, you knew Virgil Stone had a habit of saving those who needed to be saved. So many people had mentioned experiences like the one Roman had just gone through, so many people would say how he came across them in a moment of crisis and helped them through it. Taking Roman's cousins pills and talking to him. Walking home with a girl out of nowhere, the day she'd been wondering if she should kill herself. He even helped teachers carry stuff to their classrooms all the time.

But until tonight he'd never thought the emo would help someone like him. And now, Roman wished he hadn't agreed to come to Virgil's house. Not that there was anything wrong with it. It was small but nice. His moms were kind, after a few glares from Virgil. Why Virgil was defending him, Roman would never understand. The Alfredo was amazing, the best he'd ever had.

But now he was sat at the table with only Virgil's Ma, and he hated the tense silence.

"So Roman." Roman jerked his head up to look at her when she spoke, voice tight with some kind of emotion. She ran a finger along the edge of her cup, obviously procrastinating what she was going to say. "What's up with you? Everything alright?"

"What?" Roman stared at her, shocked. She had to hate him. Virgil had undoubtedly told her about what he'd apparently done to Patton. God, why couldn't he keep his mouth shut? What else had he done to people without fully realizing it? Yeah, he was rude sometimes when he was stressed and didn't know what to say, but was he that bad? Apparently, he was.

"You alright?" she repeated.

"... why do you care?" Roman clenched his hands under the table, looking away from her. "I know Virgil hates me, you must hate me too."

"That doesn't matter," she said softly. "What matters to me, right now, is where that bruise on your face came from." Roman opened his mouth, then closed it and stared at the table.

They sat in silence for a few more minutes.

"Virgil's adopted, you know." She said. Roman didn't respond. "We got him when he was eight - after he was removed because his parents were abusive."

Roman flinched, shrinking away from her. This was none of his business! He'd been an asshole to Virgil so much the past few years, he shouldn't get to know anything about Virgil's life. No matter how much he wanted to be friends with the guy.

"He's not ashamed of it." Virgil's Ma promised. "He lets us tell people. Especially if it will help them. You need help. You need to know that he knows exactly what is going on with you because he can see it and he can feel it. You need to know that I work as a social worker in child protection services, and I know exactly what's going on as well."

"You have no idea." Roman snapped, glaring at her. She stared back impassively. "You don't know me! You don't know my dad! All you know is what Virgil told you and that I have a bruise on my face. How do you know anything about me?"