35. Unforgiving

• Dedicated to Mitch Lucker

Chapter 35 - Unforgiving

   My heart was pounding against my chest erratically. I was too terrified to turn around, knowing that it wasn't going to be Caleb if I did. 

    His voice was so raspy and jumbled, questioning at the scene that he just woke up to. Tears were clogging my eyes and my throat was closing on me while I tried to say anything.

Say anything.

    My trust bond with Alex vanished...so did my voice.

   Slowly, I turned around to face him. 

     My eyes were practically closed until I did a full 90 degree circle. My stomach tightened from the sight of him, worse than when I had first saw him. His worried eyes scanned the place, clearly unsure of his whereabouts were. 

   "Laila," He hoarsely said. “wher-where are we?”

    Before I could even for a split second try to make an attempt to speak, right on cue, Caleb had walked in with a glass of water.

      “You!” Alex lurched up from his spot, but only to quickly groan from his wounds.  He was oblivious to the situation, thinking Caleb was the bad person here.

     “Oh shut up, Gaskarth. If it wasn’t for me you would be dead at the bar.” Caleb snickered, handing him the cup of water.

     Alex slowly fixed his posture with caution so he could drink out of the cup. He didn’t say a word furthermore until he was done sipping.

    “If it wasn’t for you to be so careless then maybe I wouldn’t have gotten beat up by a damn gang when I was just there to create peace with you.” Alex huffed. He sat the cup down and sank into the couch for a better position with comfort.

   Create peace? Why would Alex want to create peace with…Caleb?

    “If it wasn’t for you being ‘I want to create peace’ then maybe you wouldn’t have gotten beaten up by a damn gang.” Caleb mocked him before sitting down in his previous spot before, leaving me to be the only one standing.

     My feet were stuck to the floor as if someone hot glued them. I stood there awkwardly and with no motive to do anything of the situation. Millions of alarms and voice were going off in my brain, telling me how to proceed with this state I am in.

       Then, everything stopped and time froze when I had remembered why Alex and I weren’t even on good terms. It was the big reason why this week was from hell and I was Satan’s pity servant – or at least that was how it felt like.

With one last good stare around the living room, I made my way out of there, leaving Caleb and Alex to give each other questioning looks from my behavior. I had no need or desire to be in the same room as Alex. My work there was done, he was alive and seemingly doing better. Why stand there longer for only just to have my heart break even more?

     I yanked the front door open, making the harsh cold weather outside whip my face. I half expected to hear my name being yelled out but nothing, not even a syllable was spoken.

     It seemed like that though most of the time. That every time I was marching my way out the door in a hurry to isolate myself, someone from somewhere was either hollering my name or racing after me – mostly likely both.  

     But no one came after me while I stood out in the cold with my hands not even the sleeves of my sweater, more like the inside of the material. My toes were freezing from only having my socks protecting them.