3. Alcohol

Chapter 3 - Alcohol

   I had successfully made it. And by made it I mean I had survived the first week of school. It was quite the accomplishment. Alex and I were on no speaking terms - on his side of course. His glances were still daggers into my back. But at this point, I didn't seem
to care at all.

   It was Sunday and I was happily relaxing on the back porch. My brother was cooking up hamburgers and hot dogs. My father was expected to be home any minute by now.

                The sun was slowly setting with the wind picking up. The breeze was nice on my fair skin. I loved the feeling just as much as I liked watching the flowers in my backyard swing back and forth. It
was moments like this I enjoyed very much. It was the little things that seemed to make me happy.

   "Hey kids," My father walked out onto the porch. He was supporting dress pants and a dress shirt. My father was a workaholic. He did his best for my brother and I to have what we needed, although it did suck that we didn't get to see him very often.

   "Looks good, Derek." My dad peeked over him to see what was on the grill. "Let me change out these clothes and I'll be back."

                My dad came back, in gyms shorts and a black fitted t-shirt. We all sat at the glass table after everything was made. We passed the bowls and servings around. Derek talked about how college was for him and my dad talked about boring business crap. The joys of having a dad that didn't seem to understand that his kids didn't want to hear about his work. But Derek and I put up with it anyway.

  "How was your first week of school, Laila?" My dad inquired, and then he sipped his drink.

   I thought about it for a minute. I could tell him it had been normal or tell him something bizarre to make him
worried.

   "Oh you know, aliens came by my school and almost abducted me. But then a heroic
man saves the day because we all know that apparently there can't be a female
protagonist when it comes to these types of situations."

   Derek grinned widely. He always seemed to appreciate my sense of humor that had a hint of truth within it. Sometimes my dad didn't like it when I did it but he would just have to get over it.

 "Nice to know you had a normal week." My dad said in the same sarcastic tone.

                I cheekily smiled back at Derek. We think alike most of the time.

   After dinner, I became bored. The sun had barely touched the horizon. -  Making
me want to go on a walk. I slipped on my handy black converse and hauled a beanie over my head.

 Grabbing my classic IPod and earbuds, I yelled out to my dad that I would be on a walk. I stepped out of the house and made my way down the driveway.

As I took my steps down the road, I slipped my earbuds into my ears. I blast Fall Out Boy's recent album - From Under The Cork Tree. It was one of my favorite albums so far this year.

  The best part about where my home was located was it being close to town. It was
only a short walking distance of fifteen minutes. I wasn't athletic by all means but walking seemed to be the only exercise I ever got.

                Shortly, I entered the local store, searching for some candy. The store lacked the good stuff most of the time. I grabbed the off brand of skittles and a herbal tea drink, and headed over to the cashier.