26. Winter Break

Chapter 26 - Winter Break

   "I love you so much." Alex repeated the words for the dozen times.

   It was music to my ears, blissful and euphoria. Knowing that he felt the same way I felt about him. Our relationship has never been stronger than before.

    It's been a week since I told him that I loved him. We went back to our normal routine of school and having to sneak around. Uncle Gabe was still around, waking up early to go to attorney offices and other boring crap. I tried my best to tune out when he and my dad would talk about Kenzie's case at the dinner table. I really rather not hear it when I'm trying to eat much less even at all.

    Alex wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me a little. "I love you." I said it back. The smile on my lips said it all of how happy I was.

      Thankfully, It's winter break. Alex and I have been cuddling and drinking hot coco to stay warm from the blizzard occurring outside.

      Since Dad has been too wrapped up with Kenzie's case and his writing, he hasn't bothered with me as much, abandoning me almost. Derek has been off I've noticed. He's more jumpy than ever and it makes me wonder what is truly going on. Maybe it's because of how Kenzie's case is being brought up so many times now. I don't blame him with his behavior.

     I would too be like how he is if it wasn't for Alex. He's the only reason why I've managed to keep myself inline and not on the urge of a mental breakdown. And for that, I'm beyond thankful.

   "I have to go soon." I sighed, trying to wiggle myself out of his embrace.

   "Not on my watch." He placed hot wet kisses all over my face, making me giggle uncontrollably.

    I protested against him. He finally stopped when his phone started to ring. Looking at the I.D, he tossed his phone on the coffee table.

    "Aren't you going to answer that?" I questioned. I was confused why he wasn't. Alex usually answered his phone and now that I think about, there's never been a time where Alex ever ignored his phone when I was around him.

   "Nope." He shook his head.

   The awful ringing continued and kept getting annoying.

    "I think you should." I persisted, picking up his phone from the table. The I.D read 'Don't pick up'. This had only made me more curious. "Alex," I warned, giving him my death stare.

    "Fine." He huffed and snatched the phone out of my hands while getting up from the couch.

    I sucked on my teeth out of annoyance when he went into his bedroom to answer the call. What's he hiding?

     There was a gut feeling to eavesdrop behind the door that he had shut. But it was rude of me to even do that to him. Just because he's my boyfriend doesn't mean I needed to know everything going on with him...

Scratch that. I needed to know, right way.

   I quickly got up from my warm spot on the couch and tipped toed to his bed room door. With putting my ear against the chilled door, I hear his raspy voice.

     "No, I'm not doing that bullshit." His harsh tone made me nervous. With my breathing quickening from the thought of getting caught, he spoke again. "Why the hell should I? I have no business seeing you guys any time soon."

    Who on Earth could he possibly talking to? Specially the way he spoke, unforgiving and cruel.

      "Yeah, sure, whatever." He snapped after ten minutes of silence. I could hear his pacing of his legs from the other side of the door. "Fine, bye."