55. The Truth

Chapter 55 - The Truth (final chapter)

     Tossing and turning, unsettled sheets tussled in between my legs. It felt endless to be in my own bed. My room cast an orange milky haze from the early sun rising from the horizon, my windows blinds wide open for the morning to slowly sneak its way in. 

    My heavy eyelids begged for sleep. However, my worried mind was stressing at the thought of Alex. The image of him driving for long hours, and being in new different places that could be potentially dangerous. His short phone call at 3am when his gig was done did little justice to my troubled thoughts. His tired and raspy voice from the call lingered in my head, giving me a small piece of comfort.

    I groaned loudly, stuffing my face into my pillow, wishing I could fall back asleep, but it wasn't until then I had realized that I didn't even sleep at all throughout the entire night. It was one of the reasons why I found myself to be awake at the deathly hour. The early birds chirped just outside my window. Not another sound could be heard throughout the house, my father not even awake yet to get ready for work.

    My stiff body hoisted up, my legs criss-cross as I reached for a hoodie off of my floor. I hauled it over my head, and his scent instantly hit me. Of course it was his. Any of the clothing I had accumulated over the past 6 months was his, however, technically they were mine now, seeing that he was never going to get them back.

    As I slowly gained consciousness, opening my clouded eyes further, I got up from the warmth of my bed and slipped into a pair of boxers before heading downstairs.

     I walked into the kitchen, quickly taking a halt at the sight of Derek eating cereal at the counter. I hadn't seen him since graduation night, which was barely even two days ago.

   "Hey," he mumbled, his mouth full of his breakfast.

     My nose scrunched at the view of my brother's disgusting manners, but I continued towards the fridge, where I grabbed the carton of orange juice.

   "So how does it feel to be graduated?" he pondered.

    I shrugged my shoulders loosely, unsure how to answer him. "I don't know yet." 

     It was a peculiar feeling. To know that I was free from studies, homework, and brutal hours was refreshing and it was a first.

    "Well, I'm proud of you, little sis." he smiled. 

    "Thanks, Derek," I genuinely said. My hand began to pour the juice into a cup. My body faced my brother's as I stood behind the counter.

      "I'm sure Jonah would be proud of Alex." Derek had suddenly choked on his food, quickly standing up in alert, rushing to put his bowl in to the sink.

    "Wait," I snapped. His words had finally sunk in of what he said. "How do you know about Jonah?"

    "I have to go, Caleb is waiting for me." He wiped his mouth with a napkin. His eyes were anywhere but mine; a sign that he was lying to me.

    "Derek," I warned.

      He ignored me, walking straight out of the kitchen, followed by the slam of the front door. I huffed loudly, annoyed and irritated that I was being treated like a child. My eyebrows lowered, puzzled and confused at what had just happened. 

    How did he know Jonah? My mind raced for answers as I sipped my drink, but solving it was an endless battle. 

    I checked my phone just in case if I missed a call from Alex or a text message, however, nothing flashed as a new notification, which disappointed me, leaving me to sigh heavily and go back to my bedroom.