12. Night Terrors

Chapter 12 - Night Terrors

   The consequences of what I would have to face from doing this raced in my mind as I forced my legs to sprint as fast as they could. I hardly remembered Alex's directions to his apartment but I was so determined to get there, even in the dark. 

   I was more than just terrified. So many scenarios could occur, so many options of how I could approach this. It was overwhelming.  My lungs were about to give up, hustling to push air in and out. The freezing atmosphere spending uncomfortable chills down my back. 

Now this was impulsive.

    My eyes were still producing tears and my mouth ran dry. None of this felt real. How was I even able to sneak out of this house like I did? And how was I even still running? I didn't even know myself.  

  But I knew one thing for sure, it was my burning passion to see Alex that had driven me this far to the point I didn't want to stop, especially from how close I was to his apartment. 

   Taking another left turn down the street, it was all becoming familiar to me despite the night making me almost blind to the real world.

With everything pitch dark, my adrenaline rush was vanishing.  My knees began to ache and my eyes were burning from the salty tears that trickled down my cheek. But finally, I was in front of the brick building, the same building of where his apartment was located.

   Before I enter the two doors, I breathe in and out, catching my breath as a sob fled from my lips. This was going to be harder than I had predicted. However, I walked into the lobby, my back scrunched over, and my head dizzy.

      My feet dragged against the green carpet to the elevator. I was greeted by what made my heart plummet to the ground. 'OUT OF ORDER', it read.

   This had made the bones inside me tighten from the unexpected inconvenience. My tired body took each step up the flight of stairs with what felt like the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I was fed up with the night already. My tears were unstoppable and my legs were rapidly losing strength after running for how long I did. I was dehydrated and just wanted to go back to my bed, but my mind was telling me to see him.

   The stairway was hardly lit, and the horrendous stink was unbearable. The railings had something clear slime on it, which definitely did not help my situation.

 Once I arrived to the correct floor, I pushed the exit door open that had a large letter of 'C' nailed on it, leading me into the dreadful narrow hallway. I used the paper thin walls to lean on, guiding me to the only door that I ever wanted to see so desperately.

   I stood at the darken door with 'C5' engraved into it, raising my fist, while thinking over and over again of how this could turn out. I had no plan what so ever, my only plan was just to see Alex and apologize. The journal entry that he had written was something else. I was still trying to process it fully. I had never had a boy think about me in that way. It was no wonder why I constantly had butterflies in my stomach.

   But what if Alex didn't want to do anything with me anymore? What if he was done with me and wanted to move on? With one big breath in and out, I bang my hand on the door.

   My left leg was uncontrollably shaking as I waited. My hearted pounded in my chest when the door creaked open. He stood there without anything to say, along with me being purely voiceless. All I noticed was his tousled hair and a half a bottle of whiskey left. His deep chocolate eyes are blood shot red, and it made my body ache just at the sight of them. His vulnerability was on display right in front of me.