53. Graduation

Hope you guys enjoy! :) x

 Chapter 53 - Graduation 

    The day I had been waiting for was finally here. Most girls dreamed of their wedding day, but graduation day was what I had been dreaming of ever since kindergarten. It had been a brutal, insane, up and down road to get to where I was. 

       All of what I had been preparing for was coming to an end and now I was facing the real world. It was now or never. It almost didn't feel real to be where I was. 

          Rehearsal at the football field ended two hours ago, and now I was racing the clock to get ready. Having my room a mess was a challenge to get dress for the night. I wore a classic and simple tight dress under my purple gown. I had specifically bought silver colored high heels for my outfit tonight. It was a rare occasion to have myself in heels.

       But furthermore, my hair was being a bother. If I curled one strand of hair, another curl would come undone. I was starting to feel like Alex when it came to using hairspray. However, with time, I successfully curled my hair.

      My makeup was simple and didn't take too long, but the out pouring of text messages from Alex was dragging me down. He was nervous about tonight. He expressed it through the messages I was receiving. It was soothing to know I wasn't the only one who I was freaking out.

    "Laila!" My father called my name. "You're going to be late!"

      Quickly, I checked myself in the mirror, taking a few deep breaths in and out. "You can do this, Lai," I prepped talked myself.

       I slipped my shoes on, nearly losing my balance from the height adjustment. Grabbing my purse, I left my bedroom and went down stairs. Derek and my dad were waiting down at the end, watching my every step as if I was about to leave to prom (which neither Alex nor I attend to).

      "You look great, sweetheart." My dad complimented me after I reached to the last step.

     "Thanks, Dad." I gave him a short hug with a small peck on his cheek. Pulling away, I faced Derek, who was dressed in a dress shirt and pants.

        He slightly grumbled before giving me a hug. He was having a hard time accepting that I, his little sister, was going to be graduating. I didn't blame him. I was almost in denial just as much as he was. 

        "When's Alex supposed to pick you up?" My father asked, fixing his cuff to his sleeve. He wasn't too happy about my request to have Alex be the one to drive me to my high school, but the seniors were supposed to be there earlier than the parents for preparation purposes.

     "He should be here any minute." I said. I checked my phone, but nothing had appeared on it, only the time and date.

     Shortly, he did show up as we waited in the living room. The front door bell rung, causing a spike of anxiety rush inside me. I stood up from the couch, along with my dad, and we made our way to the door. Derek decided not to greet Alex.

     I opened the front door, and there stood Alex in his graduation gown, his hair clean and freshly cut, and a bouquet of flowers in hand. He was smiling ear to ear, a dimple showcasing on his lower left cheek. He made my heart skip a beat at the sight of him.

     "Greetings, Alex," My father shook his hand, a warm smile on his face as he did.

       "Afternoon, Mr. Grey, how are you?" Alex politely asked.

         "Good, Good."  My father moved to the side, allowing Alex to walk in, and which he gave me a short kiss on the cheek and the bundle of flowers.