The World Turned Upside Down

Start from the beginning

She ripped the sheet from the bed and tore it into strips. Her mind walked through all the next steps, the strength needed to control her thoughts building a barrier against the emotions trying to break free.

Donovan's eyes were closed as she sank down beside him. Despite this sign of weakness, he was still breathing in sharp gasps, telling her he was still conscious enough to feel the pain.

"Carter...I-" he whispered.

She scowled. "Shut up. You need your strength and I need you."

Any words he would have would only destroy her and at that moment she was all they had. Replacing the bloodied towels with new ones, she took the strips of the sheet and wrapped them around his shoulder and chest. By the time she was securing the knots, her hands were stained red. The makeshift bandage was ugly but effective. The next step made her heart stutter.

"Donovan, I can't..." her voice cracked. "I can't carry you, I need you to help me. I can't do this alone."

He pried his eyes open, the blue so familiar and still so full of life it knifed Carter in the chest. Gritting his teeth, he held up his hand. As best she could, she helped him up without aggravating the wound. Stopping only briefly for Carter to gather the necessary things from the room, they made their way down through the cabin.

With each sucked in breath or shift, Carter felt her handle on her emotions wavering and stabs of fear would shoot through her. Each second getting eaten away cut into her.

By the time they made it to the car, Donovan's dark skin looked pale. Climbing into the back with him, Carter eased him down to the seat and secured him as best she could. The moment he no longer needed to be in control of himself, his eyes shut. Slamming the door, Carter clambered over the center consolt and slipped into the driver's seat. Flipping on the siren, she hit the gas, rocks shooting out behind the tires as the car rocketed forward.

As they tore away, her bloodied hands gripped the steering wheel. There was no speed limit she did not break. The siren screamed alongside her heart, yelling at the world to stand aside and for Donovan to hold on just a bit longer.

The tires burned rubber as she turned the car into the hospital parking lot and skittered to a halt at the emergency entrance. As she jumped out, the doors parted and two medics raced forward, a gurney rattling along between them. She yanked the back door open. Donovan didn't notice, his body limp. Whether from blood loss or unconsciousness, she didn't know. The medics took hold of his shoulders and lifted him onto the gurney.

"Donovan," Carter said.

He gave no response. His fate was now no longer in her hands.

She followed the pair as they hurried inside. A doctor in a white coat stood waiting, his face calm, body humming with expectancy.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Gunshot wound. It went through his right shoulder," Carter said.

The man nodded. "Get him to the surgery."

The gurney barraged through a set of swinging double doors. As Carter made to follow, the doctor held up a hand.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Instead of arguing, Carter grabbed hold of his coat collar and pulling his face close to hers.

"He dies, you die. Got it?"

Her voice was not full of anger, just a raw certainty of future events. The doctor swallowed but didn't flinch, clearly not new to being threatened by desperate loved ones.