31

~Elysia's POV~

On Monday, Luke and I headed to school together after we were both done getting ready, his hand laced through mine as we left the house. While he locked the front door, I looked up, surprised to see that my mom was standing in the driveway beside her car. She had her keys in hand and watched us closely, a sad and regretful look in her eye. I avoided her gaze instead of continuing to look at her. I wasn't ready to forgive her yet. Part of me wanted to, but I couldn't yet. She hadn't even tried to come apologize, or even text or call or anything to show that she was sorry. So I didn't want to forgive her, not when she hadn't done anything to show that she deserved it.

Luke turned and must've known just what it was that had suddenly made me so upset and uncomfortable, his hand squeezing mine encouragingly. "Don't worry about her, Lysi." He sighed softly, gripping my chin and tilting my head up to look at him. I let out a soft sigh and nodded lightly. "Okay." I whispered, biting my lip as I grabbed his hand. He gave me a soft smile and nodded his head in the direction of his car. "Good. Now let's get going." He hummed, leading me over to his car. I got into the passenger's seat and pulled on my seatbelt, setting my backpack on my lap.

While he drove towards the school, I could feel him taking sneaking glances at me while I looked out the window, thinking. After a moment, he softly placed a hand on my thigh, catching my attention. I glanced over at him and saw the slight furrow he had in his brow, showcasing his worry for me. "Are you okay, kitten?" He asked, focusing his attention back on the road. Even though he wasn't looking at me, that didn't make him seem any less worried or concerned. I could still hear it clear in his voice that he was concerned and it warmed my heart to know how much he cared.

"I'm okay." I assured softly, sighing. "I've just been thinking about my mom. I don't know what to do about everything. I mean, I can't just live in your bedroom forever, you know?" I voiced my thoughts aloud, peering over at him with a pensive furrow in my brows. I knew that, at some point, I'd have to have a conversation with my mom, about everything, not just her hitting me. I also knew that I'd probably end up being the one to initiate having that talk because my mom was stubborn and stuck in her ways. If she didn't want to have to apologize, she wouldn't, even if she was in the wrong. She was too prideful like that.

His eyes met mine as he gave me another brief glance, trying to focus on both driving and me. "Yeah, I know." He agreed softly, a frown on his face as he sighed out his words. "Maybe I could be there with you, you know, when you have to talk to her. I-I mean, if that's what you want." He suggested a moment later, stammering nervously.

Even though it hurt me to have to reject his offer, I shook my head softly. "I think it's best to do it alone. Besides, something tells me you two would just fight." I said, giggling quietly to myself. They were both very protective of the things that they believed in and loved and cared about. It just so happened that, for mom, those things were usually her religion and, for Luke, it was me. Plus, I didn't want him to have to deal with this situation anymore than he already had.

A small smile rose on his lips and he nodded his head lightly. "Yeah, you're probably right." He agreed, chuckling softly as he turned into the parking lot of the school. He pulled into his usual parking spot and cut the engine, looking over at me with his full attention now that we were stopped in a spot and not driving on the road. "But if you need anything, I want you to know you can ask me." He said, his blue eyes peering into my brown ones.

The sincerity and seriousness that laid there made me smile, a heat filling my cheeks. I undid my seat-belt buckle and leaned over the console between our seats and gripped his face, pulling him closer.

"Thank you." I said softly, placing a light kiss on his lips. He grinned and grabbed me by the back of my neck, pulling me in. "Of course, kitten. But where are you going?" He hummed, refusing to let me escape his kiss. Still, he didn't kiss me just yet, his lips just an inch in front of mine. "We have to get inside, Luke. We have school." I giggled, my hand lightly grasping his forearm.