9

~Elysia's POV~

Although Luke and I hadn't really spoken much or anything, he and I seemed to be in agreement now that we were able to tolerate one another at the very least. Merely tolerate, though. We weren't friends, but that was likely because we hadn't talked to one another or gotten to know each other. He and I still were awkward around each other.

"Elly?" Jaxon asked me, poking me in the arm. I blinked and looked over at him with a furrow in my brows, the two of us sitting together in front of my house in the front yard. He and I were sitting with his little sister Beth, who he had been assigned the task of taking care of today, today being Saturday. Naturally, he had come over to my house with her. "Sorry, what?" I asked, biting my lip. He gave me an amused smile and bumped his elbow against mine. "I asked if you were expecting any company to be here today." He said, causing me to frown in confusion. "No, none. Why?" I wondered, confused as to what made him think that.

Jax pointed behind me, in the direction of Luke's house, which I had my back turned towards. "Because you have gained the attention of a certain neighbor and he's just staring at us." He answered.

At first, I didn't understand exactly what it was that he was talking about and I just stared at him, confused. However, it suddenly hit me and I gasped in a rather dramatic style at my sudden realization. My head quickly turned around to look over at Luke, who was peering over at me and Jax and Beth with a conflicted look on his face. I had completely forgotten that he and I were supposed to meet up today to start our project for our ESS class. "Shoot!" I exclaimed, scrambling up to my feet in a hurry. Jax raised his brows. "What are you doing?" He frowned, confused. "I completely forgot. Luke and I are supposed to work on the project that Mr. Wells gave everyone for his class." I answered, feeling really bad for having completely forgotten about him.

Without waiting for much of an answer from him, I skittered across the street to Luke's house, meeting him in the middle of the driveway. His arms were crossed over his broad chest as he glanced between me and to Jaxon across the street, brows furrowed. "Hi." I greeted softly, giving him a sheepish smile. He gave me a hesitant, awkward smile. "Hi." He returned, his voice a mumble. I noticed him sneak yet another glance behind me to Jaxon. "Were you guys busy?" He wondered. Biting my lip softly, I shook my head. "No, not all. He and I were just hanging out, that's all." I assured, shrugging. After a little bit of hesitation, he nodded curtly. "We still doing the project today, then?" He assumed, cocking his head to the side. "Yes." I confirmed, but then we fell silent.

Luke took another glance over at Jaxon and then back down at me. We stared at one another for a moment before I broke the silence. "Um, well, come with me, then." I said softly, spinning around to head back across the street to my house. His footsteps were light as he followed after me into the yard in front of my house, stopping behind me when I halted in front of Jax and Beth. Jax peered up at me, leaned back onto his palms while Beth sat beside him, quietly reading a book. "Time for me to go home?" He guessed, tossing me a smile. I sent him a sheepish smile. "Sorry. We've got a project to do. Maybe we can hang out tomorrow or something." I suggested, having to crane my neck back a little to look up at him when he stood up from the ground with Beth's hand in his. "Okay. I'll see you later then, babe." He said, only gaining an eye roll and an amused smile from me as he left.

Once Jaxon and Beth were both gone, I turned to Luke and nodded my head up towards the front door of my house. "Well, let's go." I smiled, heading up the lawn and to the front door. He followed after me and I opened the front door, letting it swing open before I stepped to the side. "You can go first." I insisted politely, giving him a small smile.

After a moment of hesitation, he stalked into my house first with me trailing after him. I shut and locked the front door, watching as Luke curiously surveyed his surroundings. Eventually, his gaze flicked over to me and our eyes met, blue on brown. "You've got a nice house." He said reluctantly, clearly still a little unused to trying to be civil with me. After all, I was sort of the one who had started this little spat between the two of us, even if it was unintentional. "Thanks." I whispered, feeling a bit shy.