38

"Can I have one of your cigarettes?" Belle suddenly blurted out.

They were both cuddled up on the couch, Belle's head was resting on Taron's chest and they hadn't said anything for a while.
Taron wanted to start a conversation, but he couldn't think of anything to say. He could sense Belle didn't want to talk much so he just let her rest on him. She seemed so exhausted, he'd never seen someone look so defeated before.

"Course" Taron reached in his pocket, causing Belle to sit up properly and wait eagerly.
"I've been craving one" She smiles weakly and carefully took it from Taron's hand
"Please don't make a habit of it, I wish I never did"
The two got up and went to the back door, Taron handed Belle his lighter and admired her as she struggled to light it.
"Here"
He took it from her lips and lit it for her, immediately handing it back to her and lighting his own.
Taron watched as Belle took a long drag, admiring how she held it for a second; savouring the flavour before breathing it out.

"I don't know what I'm going to do now" Belle looked up at Taron, holding the cigarette down at her side, "I mean I won't be able to live here for much longer"
"Have you got somewhere to stay?"
"I think my grandparents will have to take me - I guess they're my like next of kin"
"Do they live far?"
"Sutton"
Belle took another long drag, looking up to the sky as she breathed out, "I hope they're proud of me" She admired the sky, the way the clouds travelled gracefully and disappeared over the house, "I only ever wanted to make them happy" She added sadly, dropped her head to face the floor.
"I don't think they'd approve of you doing that" Taron gestured to the cigarette and Belle smiled slightly
"Nope, but it's the only thing that slows my mind down"
"Me too"

Once they'd both finished their cigarettes they went back inside and Taron offered to make dinner.
"I'm not hungry"
"When was the last time you ate something?"
Belle sighed, "I said I'm not hungry"
"I was going to call mum and arrange to see her whilst I'm here I-" Taron froze, "Shit, I'm so sorry"
But Belle just shrugged, "I'm not going to stop you from talking about your mum just because mines dead," She said bluntly, slumping down on a chair at the table.
"I know, but I didn't mean to bring it up - look, I'll come back tomorrow before I go back to the studio, yeah" Taron went to the living room to grab his jacket
"Ok" Belle sighed again, "Thank you"
"And I'll call every day" Taron promised as they stood at the front door
"Ok" Belle repeated, "Thank you"
Taron pulled her into a hug, swaying slightly.
"I love you" He whispered, pulling away and caressing her cheek
"I love you too" Belle pulled him into a kiss, resting her lips on his for a second before pulling away.

After their last goodbyes, Taron headed for the phonebox he'd seen on the way to Belle's. Spending time with someone who's just lost their parents makes you appreciate the ones you still have. Whilst he's down here, he may as well see her. Even if it's just for a coffee in the french cafe they'd met before.

Seeing Belle the way she was made Taron realise just how little he knew his dad. When his mum told him about his passing he wasn't sad like Belle. Of course, it was a shock, but he didn't feel anywhere near as bad as Belle about it. In a way that made Taron feel worse, he knew less about his dad than he thought; if he knows as much as he thought he did, why wasn't he as distraught as Belle is?