21

"You were really good out there, I can't believe you've not had any training" Sam said as the cast got down from the stage.
Taron had applied for various roles in small productions, telling them that although he wasn't a drama student yet, he did study it at A-Level and is hoping to go to drama school next year. He just wanted to land some small roles so that he could at least begin to build up a portfolio.

"Thanks mate" Taron tapped him on the shoulder. He'd met Sam at the auditions for the play and the two seemed to hit it off straight away. They both had similar interests and it was Sam who had convinced the casters to give Taron a shot. He knew that this production wouldn't be too different to what he'd done at A-Level and that Taron could probably do it well. But he was surprised but just how good Taron was. He learnt all the lines pretty quickly and really adopted and developed the character within a few short weeks of rehearsal.

Sam had been playing in these productions since he started at drama school last year and had gotten to know everyone pretty well. He had a likeable character and was always chatting to everyone so convincing them to choose Taron wasn't too difficult for him and he was glad he did.
"Are you going out after this?"
"Nah, sorry - I'm working"
"After this?" Sam seemed shocked

The two made their way through the back doors of the assembly hall.

It was now nearing 9 o'clock and Taron started work at 10, Mike had agreed to let him start later seeing as the pub didn't get busy till 10 o'clock on a Friday and he'd rather have Taron around to help clean up.

"Yeah, I mean only like 10 till 3 probably"
"3 in the morning?"
Taron laughed, "Yeah, why?"
"You're gonna burn yourself out doing that"
"I don't do it every night, plus I don't have student accommodation yet so I need to make a living"
"Fucking hell mate" Sam said in disbelief.

To Sam, how Taron was living was hardship. He thought that having to work alongside doing the acting thing to make ends meet was really hard graft. But he didn't know where Taron was before this and that for Taron this was luxury to him. Taron didn't mind working more hours than most people around him, as long as it meant he had a roof over his head and a bed to sleep in.

"You should look at getting an agent" Sam said, the two were stood in the street now and Taron took it as a queue to take the packet of tobacco from his back pocket and begin making a roll-up.
"On my salary? Yeah alright mate" Taron laughed off Sam's comment. No one had ever said he was capable before, Sam telling him that he was good enough for an agent scared Taron a little.

Taron lit his roll up, cupping the end with his hands and igniting the lighter, "Today was fun though, I'll have to audition for more here" He gestured behind them where the assembly hall stood.
"Yeah, the locals love coming to see us perform. They call it supporting local talent" Sam told Taron to which he nodded.
"Anyways, have a good shift - I'll see you at the next one, yeah?" Sam began to walk away and Taron waved him off
"Yeah, see you later bud"

Taron let out a sigh as he began to walk in the direction of the pub. As much as he felt as if this is where he should be, he still felt an outcast and as he got to the doors of the pub he concluded that it wouldn't be until next year that he would feel a sense of inclusion in a community thriving with talent.

"Ah, you're back" Mike hurried over to Taron, weaving through the people that were already at the bar
"Busy, eh" Taron smirked, "I'll go get my shirt on"
Mike just nodded gratefully and went back to serving the people waiting along with a young girl who had been flirting with Taron since she started just a week ago.

Starting the shift early didn't bother Taron, what else was he going to do till 10 anyway?