16

The music was loud and the people were drunk, usually an environment Taron thrives in.

Parties were all he used to do last year, underage drinking in someone's house. Necking on with random girls and stumbling back his sad little life.

But tonight it was the last place he wanted to be. His mindset was so different from everyone else here and he didn't connect with people like he used to. There was no conversation to engage in as far as Taron was concerned, so he continued to sip his beer.

He was only here because it was Ash's party and he'd insisted Taron show up. 'To celebrate the end of an era' he'd said.

"Spoke to your girl today" Lucy smirked, slouching down next to Taron, practically throwing herself on him. She'd clocked he was on his own which was the perfect time to work her charm.

"What?" He shook his head

"Belle, the sweet kid in the year below"

"She isn't my girl," Taron told her, taking a mouthful of beer this time and trying to move away from Lucy.

"You're not game today then?" Her small lips curled into a devilish grin, "I told her about our antics" she continued

"Yeah, bet you told her we were a thing yeah- had a go on that before" Taron waved his hands around, imitating a very unamused Lucy.

"What's gotten into you?" Lucy extended her arm so it rested on the back of the sofa, "You used to be so much fun"

Taron shrugged because he didn't really know how to answer that question. So he did what he knew how "Shots?"

Blurred vision, stumbling feet and a sweaty mess.

"I feel better now!" Taron shouted to Lucy over the music Ash turned up. He'd spent a couple of hours with Lucy and his hazed vision started to see what was attractive about her.

That beautiful brown hair he used to run his fingers through, those eyes that made him melt. She was toxic, but Taron couldn't get enough of her.

"You're a bad influence" he draped a heavy arm around her as they danced to the music in the centre of the living room. Bodies everywhere, the smell of alcohol filled the place.

"Told you you'd have a good time!" Ash approached the two, handing Taron a spliff which he gratefully took

"Like old times brother!" Taron threw himself on Ash making the two guys fall onto the sofa which luckily no one was occupying.

"So where you off to now then?" Ash looked over to Taron who was slouched with the spliff still in his hand. He stared at it, watching as the smoke floated off it and into the room

"Out of here bruv, gonna be an actor!" Taron slurred, his South London accent becoming more pronounced, "What ta'bout you? You gonna be a doctor or some shit"

Taron took a long drag and let the cannabis go to his head, making it light and carefree. He felt like he could conquer the world right now. Part of the reason being he knew he had a plan after all this, he felt surer of himself.

"Ah, fuck knows mate - it'll all work out eh?" Ash hit Tarons knee which made Taron laugh. But all he thought was how someone could be so relaxed about their future, how they could not care about their fate.

"Well thanks for coming anyway bruv, you're my best mate" Ash lent on Taron and put his arm around his waist

"Enough of this gay shit mate, I'm going for another drink"

"Oi, Taron babe" Rebecca screamed as he got to the table full of mostly empty bottles

"Becca!"Taron shot back with finger guns, "How's it going, love?" He pulls her into a hug which she happily accepts.

Everyone did fancy Taron, he was the kind of guy no one quite knew why they were attracted to him. Maybe it was his character and the confidence he seemed to hold in himself, maybe it was those green eyes or how easy he was to talk to.

Mostly it was because of the vibe he gave off, a bad guy. The way he dressed was so typical yet he had such a different personality.

"Good yeah, what were the results like?" She raised her eyebrows and Taron laughed

"Not bad Beck, not bad at all - you?"

He turned back to the table of bottles and clumsily picked out the bottle of vodka which already had no cap on it.

"Disappointing" She raised her clear plastic cup towards Tarons bottle of vodka, "But that's why we're here eh?"

Taron smiled politely, hitting the bottle against her half-full cup of what looked like coke - obviously mixed with something.

Taron watched as her petite body fell into the crowd again, the way her skirt rose up a little as she stepped. He gulped.

Nope, not tonight. Tonight wasn't going to end in someone else's bed with nothing but a headache and regrets to show for it the next morning.