41

AS soon as Daniel lost consciousness, Jonah knew that he had officially entered dangerous territory. This could be it. He could lose the two most precious things in his life today.

Daniel and Riley.

It felt like forever before he got to the hospital. Jack skidded to a stop near the entrance, allowing Jonah to get out with Daniel still in his arms before he rushed to find a parking spot.

Jonah held the limp Daniel, his cheeks tear stained. "Help!" He shouted. "Help me." He could barely take any more steps towards the emergency room door.

Nurses rushed outside at the sight. Paramedics that were parked outside quickly grabbed a stretcher and laid Daniel upon it. They wheeled him in, Jonah running alongside them.

"He's 34 weeks pregnant and his water just broke. He's been unconscious for around 10 minutes." Jonah blurted quickly. "We'll do our best." A nurse reassured.

Jonah had never been in a panic state like this one. The feelings of fear and guilt were not mixing well in his stomach. He felt sick, weak, and dizzy.

One elevator ride up, lead them to the delivery section of the hospital. They rolled Daniel into a room in which a doctor came rushing in.

The nurse gave the doctor an update of what Jonah had told her. They seemed to try to wake him up, but nothing was working. "I'm going to have to go into an immediate c-section operation. Get him ready."

Jonah began to freak out even more. C-section? That wasn't their birth plan. "Jonah!" Jack somehow had found him. "What's going on?" Jack asked.

Jonah blinked, his vision blurry. "Listen," he gulped, his throat dry. "You go home and get a hospital bag ready. He's getting a c-section." Jonah said. " Okay," Jack immediately ran back out.

The older brunette was startled when they began to wheel Daniel back out. He ran after them, but was stopped right before entering the delivery room.

"Please, I need to come in!" He begged. "Relationship to the patient?" The nurse asked. "I'm the father of the baby!" He urged. "Okay, we'll get you dressed."

Everything from then on was a complete blur to Jonah. All he remembers was holding onto Daniel's lifeless hand and crying while everything around him seemed like a faint buzz.

Daniel remained unconscious, which lead the doctor to believe that he might not even make it. It took 17 minutes to get Riley out.

08/11/19. 09:27 pm. 4 lbs, 8 oz. 6 weeks premature.

Jonah took a deep breath at the sight of his purple skinned daughter. His tears never flowed as hard as they did that moment. She stayed silent, not a single cry.

The whole room was circling around her. Eventually, she got cleaned quickly and put into an incubator within short seconds. "Is-is she okay?" Jonah croaked out. "She will be."

Jonah felt like he couldn't even move. All he did was shed a few tears before he leaned down to Daniel. "You did it." He whispered, placing a soft kiss to his sweaty forehead.

The doctor stitched Daniel up within the next few minutes. And just like that he was out of surgery. Jonah felt like he was in a state of shock, he could barely comprehend what was going on.

"Can-can I hold her?" Jonah mumbled quietly as he stood over the incubator with the nurse. "I'm afraid not, sir." She gave him an apologetic look. "She's having breathing problems, we can't risk it."

"But-but... she'll get better right?" He wondered. "They usually turn out fine." She gave him a gentle smile. "And Daniel?" He looked over at him, still unconscious. "He's stable."

Hours later, and Jack had returned. He entered the room quietly. "She's here?..." Jack asked. Jonah nodded, a sad smile on his face. He lead Jack to where she was fast asleep.

"There she is... that's my daughter." Jonah spoke softly. "She's perfect Jonah." Jack placed his arm around him in comfort. They both stood there in silence, admiring her.

"I got Daniel's things, and a few of Riley's." Jack set the bag down on a chair. "Thank you." Jonah nodded. "If you need me, I'll be outside." Jack told him.

"You don't have to stay." Jonah said quietly. "No," Jack shook his head. "I'm not leaving you alone in this." He gave him a nod before leaving.

Jonah sighed before he took a seat next to Daniel. He took his hand in his. "Wake up," Jonah felt himself start to cry again. "Please, I'm worried."

I finished writing this story in my drafts and I'm so proud of myself. It only took me like 8 months 💁🏻‍♀️

-dolanschonce