25

HAVING gone to bed early caused Daniel to wake up in the middle of the night. The hotel room was now dark and quiet. He turned away from the wall, only to face a wide awake Jonah.

"Hey, why are you still up?" He asked, his voice raspy. "Can't sleep." Jonah murmured. They stared at each other in the dark for a few seconds. "Feeling any better?"

Daniel took in a deep breath. The truth is, no, he would never feel better after this. "No." He shook his head. "My own parents-" Jonah sensed the breakdown, that's why he immediately shushed Daniel.

"Don't think about it anymore." He told him. Daniel sighed to himself. "This is so hard for me Jonah." He admitted, allowing his voice to break with each word.

"I know," Jonah nodded. "But you're strong. You don't need anyone to get through this, but you have me anyways." He reassured. "Thank you."

"No, don't thank me. It's my job." Jonah whispered. "Not just for being there, but for making me feel protected today. For pretending to be my boyfriend, for pretending to be Riley's father."

Jonah felt that there was an opportunity tonight. They were all alone, in the dark. "If we pretend long enough, it'll become real." He didn't know exactly what he meant by that.

With some hesitation, Daniel moved closer to Jonah. The space between them slowly inched toward being nonexistent. Jonah picked up on Daniel's actions, getting the message that he was the slightest bit interested too.

Jonah reached up and used the back of his fingers to caress Daniel's face. Daniel shut his eyes for a moment, appreciating the comfort Jonah brought him.

"You deserve nothing but happiness Daniel Seavey." Jonah whispered, mostly to himself. But Daniel still heard anyway. "As long as you're here... I'm happy." Daniel confessed.

Jonah took in a shaky breath before he moved even closer, until his forehead was practically glued to Daniel's. They both shut their eyes, listening to each other's heartbeat in the darkness as their breaths fanned onto one another's face.

"Daniel..." Jonah whispered. "Hmm?" A small sound left Daniel's mouth, signalling that he was listening. "I...." Jonah couldn't bring himself to admit anything.

Instead, he tilted his chin forward, brushing his lips against Daniel's ever so gently. Daniel's heart stopped at the feeling. But he knew that Jonah was scared, so he had to show that he wanted it too.

And so he replied back by pressing his lips to Jonah's. The older brunette's heart fluttered. Daniel's soft lips moved against his perfectly. They both hadn't known what love felt like until that moment.

Daniel pulled away after a few seconds, knowing that for now, that was enough for them. At least the possibility was in the air. "Goodnight Jonah." He hummed with satisfaction, placing his head in the crook of Jonah's neck.

SHOUT IT WITH ME ! DONAH ! DONAH! DONAH!

-dolanschonce