|11| My Game

My nerves were getting the best of me; Adira was coming out to see me play

My nerves were getting the best of me; Adira was coming out to see me play. I was currently on the bench; all the starters were resting. The first quarter was coming to a close.

I got Adira some close seats, not quite floor. My sisters already had those. Maybe it was for the best. They wouldn't be near each other.

My mom and dad were up in the VIP box. Next time I'll have more time to get Adira tickets court-side. I'm looking forward to her coming out today.

"They're starting already with that no call bull shit. I got something for their ass, though." Marcel yelled to Jackson and me seated on the bench with towels covering our mouths.

You have to watch for cameras they'll zoom in and try to get you saying something crazy

I covered my towel more on my mouth and leaned into him and Jackson. "Next time press in on him. —Their rookie is used to playing man to man, so let's double up."

"Yeah and kick it back out off the screen, I'll get open. I'll get it back to the hole. You just be ready. Jace ass can't guard me. He never could. He's always leaving space." Jackson added with his mouth covered as well.

"Aye y'all zone out all night. Keep this pace for right now, —we're doing good." I told the other players on the bench. Letting them know we're playing zone defense all night and keeping a steady pace. So we won't burn out before the half.

The first quarter was now over, and we're up by ten. We can't sleep on a team like Atlanta because they always bring it in the second half. We need to get a good lead and keep it.

The starters, including myself, entered back in the game.

Atlanta's point guard Donte ran up to guard me while putting his hands in my face. "Zo, throw it up, pretty boy. You're scared —pass it. I ain't letting shit get by me." He yelled in my face. I kept quiet dribbling the ball. I don't feed into the trash-talking usually. The guys in the league can get out of hand with it. I could say something to hurt his feelings, but I won't.

I pushed off and passed the ball to our small forward, better known as my main man Jackson. He got the ball to our shooting guard for the easy layup. Atlanta got it back down the court to answer back with a quick three.