T W E N T Y - T H R E E : P H A N T O M

A/N: Just a forewarning, this chapter is a bit heartbreaking. Which will totally add to the effect of the ending, which is only one chapter away (if you don't count epilogue)

Remember to vote and comment ^_^

———
T W E N T Y - T H R E E : P H A N T O M

Every betrayal contains a perfect moment, a coin stamped heads or tails with salvation on the other side—Barbara Kingsolver

K A T A R I N A

Dante had just texted me while I waited patiently in the observation room. I smile down at my phone as I reread the last few text between us before Dr. Matthews walks in. I hope everything goes well on his end. He's got a lot riding on his broad shoulders.

Just as I put my phone down into my bag there's a knock at the door. Doctor Matthews, along with her assistant walk-in and she greets me happily as I climb back onto the bed.

"Good afternoon Katarina, how are you feeling today?" she smiles and sits down at her rolling stool in front of me.

"I'm doing great actually. Just really nervous about today is all," I smile nervously at her and fold my hands in my lap.

"That's to be expected. Hearing the heartbeat and seeing your baby for the first time can always be a little overwhelming," she smiles warmly at me. "Aside from that is there any concerns?" I reply with a nope and she stands from her stool, grabbing some latex gloves from the box on the counter.

"Okay Kat, if you would please lay back comfortably and put your feet up in the stirrups, I will begin your pelvic exam. It's just to check the cervix and the size of your uterus before getting to the good part," she winks and sits back on her stool.

She turns on a light and shines it right at my private area. I swear if I was any bit ashamed of myself down there or shy, I'd have to get over it real quick while pregnant.

I hear the sound of a bottle being squeezed and feel her gloved finger at my folds.

God this is so awkward...

"Okay Kat, there will be a slight pinch as I insert the speculum into your vagina. It'll help spread it open so I can have a better look in there and swab some of the vaginal wall line to run test for any STDs and such," she explains and I feel a sudden pinching feeling as something foreign enters my body and the sensation of my walls being spread open.

It feels nothing like having sex and is very uncomfortable. I feel a odd sensation as she swabs me and just as quick I feel the instrument leave me and I'm back to normal. I feel uncomfortably wet down there from the excess lube she used on the tool.

Dr. Matthews stands up between my legs and sticks her finger into my opening. I stare up at the ceiling, unsure of what's going on as she presses upwards inside and with her other hand she pushes down on my lower belly around my pelvic area. It hurts a little and I groan to myself. She removes her hand and finger from my body and snaps the gloves from her hands into the trash.

"See, that was easy. Now if you can please scoot up to the top of the bed and lay your head on the pillow. We will have a listen to the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler machine," she pulls a tiny handheld machine from the drawer and stands by the bed as I adjust myself.

"Just raise your gown to above your belly button and my assistant will pour some lube on your belly," she smiles reassuringly and I do as I'm told. The assistant walks to the other side of me and squirts a large amount of lube on my lower abdomen. It's warm and is actually kind of soothing.

Dr. Matthews turns on the machine and places the tip of the wand on my stomach. She moves it around slowly. I don't hear anything on the machine and I get concerned when she makes a weird face and looks to her assistant.