Chapter 8

Violet

I laugh. Ian kisses my forehead.

“I’m sorry, baby. Does it hurt?” I shake my head.

“C’mon, Ian. It’s not like you hit her with a bat.” Ian scowls at him. “There, there, Hulk. Violet and I have to talk, so how about you let me have her for a minute or two?” Ian looks at me, then at him, then at me. I nod with a small smile.

“You can’t have her, but you can talk to her.” Mike rolls his eyes and steps forward. Ian kisses my temple and stepping away from me, goes back to cooking.

“C’mon, gorgeous.” Mike waves me over to him.  Not looking at either of us, Ian growls. Mike chuckles.

Oh, this man is suicidal.

I jump off the counter and follow Mike, who has already started walking.  We make our way to a huge living room, and out some sliding doors. There are a few beautiful wooden tables with matching chairs. There is a huge pool beside them. There are lights all around illuminating the place.  

“Do you want to sit?” Mike offers a chair. I nod and take it. He takes the one across from me and squirms. “Violet, I apologize. I shouldn’t have done what I did. It was cruel and unusual punishment…but it wasn’t meant for you. It was for Ian.” I nod, then meet his eyes in confusion.

“Wait, what were you punishing him for?” I ask and he chuckles.

“For being a blind idiot.” I nod, although I am still as confused as I was before. “I just think that you and Ian somehow…belong together. Attraction like the one you two have doesn’t happen with everybody. You two just…fit. I needed him to realize that, even if it takes my getting my ass kicked.” I take a moment to process his words.

“How do you do it?” He tilts his head to one side, not quite understanding me. “Handle all the beatings…” He chuckles.

“I don’t get beaten that bad. C’mon, girl. Give me some credit, will you?” I have to smile at him. “Listen, Ian has had those anger issues since I can remember. His training began when we were both sixteen, how do you think he was then? Any little thing ignited him, and after a few fights, I learned to deal with him.” I nod.

“Don’t you get angry? I mean, you don’t hit him back.” One of the corners of his mouth twitches.

“I do get angry, I’m only human…but I can’t calm him down fighting him. So I talk some since into him while dodging most of his blows.” I laugh as he moves in what is supposed to be a demonstration of his words.

“Well, thank you…for taking those punches yesterday. I should’ve stayed. Maybe it would have helped calming him down.” He nods.

“I’m sure it would have.” He agrees. His eyes have that twinkle again and I lean back in my seat. “When am I getting my double date that ends with breakfast?” I laugh and the sliding doors open.

“Dinner’s ready.” Ava announces. She notices Mike and beams. “Uncle Mike, I didn’t know you were here.” He stands, as do I. He turns around and hugs her, kissing her hair.

“I’m not staying for dinner, though, baby girl.” She visibly pouts. “None of that, kid. I just have work to do. I will come tomorrow, deal?” She nods. “See you around, Violet.” He says over his shoulder and leaves so quickly it feels as if he was fleeing.

I walk with Ava back to the kitchen, finding the table made and the boys talking in hushed tones. They smile when they notice us. The plates are beautifully arranged, so is a big jar of what seems to be iced tea accompanied by a bottle of wine.