Chapter 26

There are two sides to us: the human and the monster. There is a monster in every human and there is a human in every monster. Do you understand now why we are in constant battle within ourselves? Simply because one cannot exist without the other. Simply because it takes evil to become good and good to become evil. Do you understand now why perfection does not exist?

-Annabelle Hazel

Violet

I open the door as Ian approaches, furious and determined.

Ava and Ian will never be the same again and that breaks my heart.

I wish there was something I could do to change all of this.  

"Are you okay?" Ian asks me, his brow furrowed, his chest heaving.

"I'm okay." I whisper and he takes me out of the Range Rover and helps me stumble to Carl's doorstep. I look over at Ava and Nova, who seem to be in deep discussion. Nova is a bit agitated, moving his arms around, being a little loud. Ava just seems miserable. "Are you?" I ask before he knocks on the door. He looks down at me with sad blue-gray eyes and I know he's not.

"She's always been the sweeter one, the one to understand. I never thought this  would be happening with her. And I'm not saying she's isn't entitled to all she's said, but I just didn't expect it to be her. She's like a completely different person lately." I try to soothe him, but no words come out. "Come on. Carl's not really thrilled to have Manuel in there." He says before banging on the door.

Carl opens the door instantly and pulls me into a hug. I hug him right back and smile.

"Forgive me for not going to see you earlier, beautiful. It's hard being the only Alpha right now."         I kiss his bearded cheek and shake my head.

"Doesn't matter." I say, pulling away. He pulls Ian into a hug and whispers something I don't catch. Ian nods and then we make our way in.

On Carl's sofa with a glass of scotch on his hand is my father. I suck in a breath and so does he.

"Little Warrior." He stands. His amber eyes huge and surprised as he takes me in. They focus on my flat stomach for a second longer. "Violet." My name falls from his lips in a painful way. He didn't know I had lost it.

"We'll give you two some privacy, then. Come on, boy." Carl says to Ian, who is holding me by my waist. I look up at him and he sighs, kisses my temple and follows Carl somewhere.

My father makes his way over to me and pulls me into a hug. His familiar scent fills my senses and I hug him just as fiercely.

"Let me help you." He says, helping me sit on the sofa right next to where he was. He sits and just stares at me.

I have no idea what to say to him.

"I trust Ian told you why I'm here. I'm turning myself in." I nod and find my voice.

"Why did you want to see me?" He seems hurt by the question. He puts down his scotch and takes a deep breath.

"Because I need you to forgive me. The list of things I did wrong is long, it would take us all day, but I need you to forgive me." Again, I'm speechless. "But not before telling you some things you need to know. They will be painful, but you have to hear them anyways." I nod.

"I don't think there is anything I can't take anymore." I say, truthfully and he smiles, proudly.

"There never was, Little Warrior. Never." I smile back at him, as his hand squeezes mine.

So many emotions are flooding me that I almost feel a numb.

"I did a lot of fucked up shit, Violet. So many things." I wait patiently for him to keep talking. "I wish I could spare you this pain, not because you can't take it but because I'm the one giving it to you. But I can't just go rot in a cell without telling you all of this." I nod and take the hand that had squeezed mine and return the favor. I keep his rough, calloused hand between mine.