Chapter 18

Ian

I run down the stairs and through the huge house to open the door for my parents. Only they would show up at midnight. I stand in front of the door and take a deep breath.

I open the door and am greeted by my mother, Father is getting paper bags from their car.

Groceries, of course.

“Why, don’t just stand there. Give your momma some love.” She says with a bright smile.

I pull her into a tight hug. She hugs me just as fiercely and I smile, breathing in her flowery scent. I couldn’t crush her with a hug. She’s stronger than that.

“Mom, I have missed you.” I whisper before giving her a kiss on the cheek. I pull back and take her in.

My mother is a beautiful woman. She has light brown, straight and chopped pretty short, a slim figure and the most startling blue eyes you’ll ever see. They are so intensely blue it makes you think they are not real. It was scary to anger her as a child. You never want to see that blue flash that way. I almost shudder just thinking about it.

“I have missed you too, my boy.” I pull her inside watching as Dad walks towards us. I rush out and take the bags from him.

“Oh, Ian! How dare you walk outside shirtless like that! You’ll catch a cold!” Dad and I laugh. I take him in too. He looks good. Still has the same dark hazel eyes, salt and pepper hair and the bulky built.

“It’s good to see you.” I say as we walk toward the entrance together. He nods.

“It’s good to see you too, Son.” He says, slapping my naked shoulder.

“After you.” He takes one of the bags from me and walks in. I walk in behind him. I close the doors and we walk in silence toward the kitchen. Mom and Dad in front of me.

“And where are Avalon and Novaiden?” Mom asks as we make our way through the house to get to the kitchen.

“They are asleep. They spent the day with Mike and came back exhausted.” Mom nods, looking around. They both gasp when we get to the kitchen and I figure they saw Violet.

I see her leaning against the kitchen island, wearing a pair of my sweatpants and a tank top. Her red hair is wild and I smile at how beautiful she looks. I go and put the groceries on top and take her hand, intertwining my fingers through hers. She breathes deeply.

“And who is this lovely woman?” My mother says, those icy blue eyes sparkling. Violet smiles, taking them both in, but I notice her gaze linger looking into my mother’s eyes.

“Mom, Dad…this is Violet Sinclair. She’s my girlfriend and the kids’ dance teacher.” My mother wastes no time hugging the life out of Violet. My woman hugs her back and kisses her cheek for good measure. “Violet these are my parents. Bryce and Lucy Hayden.”

“I’m so happy to meet you both. I’ve heard a lot from Avalon and Novaiden.” They smile, pleased. Dad studies her and then walks over to her. She looks up at him with a bright smile.

“With all due respect to you both and my lovely wife, but I have got to say this: you are extremely beautiful.” Mom nods in agreement, looking at Violet with adoration. He kisses her cheek. “I am quite impressed, boy. You did well.” Violet blushes right down to her toes. I bite back a smile.

“I am a very lucky man.” I say, itching to get my hands on Violet again.

“Thank you so much, Mr. Hayden. I can see that Ian gets his good looks from you both.” She says, walking back to my side, subtlety. I wrap an arm around her tiny waist.