Chapter 25

Ian

Have you ever felt useless? Helpless?

Have you ever felt your chest hurt so fucking much you thought you could actually die?

If you haven't felt any of this, I hope you never do.

If you have, then you know how I have been feeling since last night.

I sit on the chair next to Violet and squeeze her hand. We're back at the hospital.

Isabelle has explained that it was only a febrile seizure, that I couldn't have stopped it and that I need to stop sulking.

Fucking Isabelle.

And most importantly, that Violet will be fine, but that she needs to get something into her system. She is still awfully dehydrated and the sweating due to the fever is not doing her good.

"You should go eat something." Isabelle says as she walks in with her soft eyes and her sweet voice. A voice I know she's only using to persuade me. I see why Suarez is attracted. "You're going to break her hand." I glare up at her, which earns me a smile.

"Stop telling me what to do and no, I'm not. I just want to be here when she wakes up." She walks over to me and squeezes my shoulder.

"You should consider what I suggested. She needs special care for this. A detox is extremely harsh, especially on people who have been going through dehydration, malnutrition...possibly post-traumatic stress." I shrug her hand off and stand, my anger spiking at the fact that she has suggested I put Violet in a home until she's better.

Fuck that. I can and I will take care of my woman.

"No fucking way in hell, Isabelle. I lost her for three months. That was enough." I take a deep breath, wanting to keep calm. The idea of not having Violet by my side for more time scares the fuck out of me. She shakes her head, eyeing Violet as she stirs.

"She needs special care, a professional to look after her, Ian. I know you want her beside you, but I know what you want the most is to see her healthy and happy again." She says, her dark eyes looking into mine determinedly. I nod.

"Alright. Then I want you to come stay with us until she's better." She takes a step back, as if I had hit her. I want to smirk at the surprised look on her face.

"What?" She asks. I cross my arms over my chest and shrug.

"You said it yourself: she needs a professional. Who else is more qualified than you to give me shit and keep her healthy?" I pause and let that sink in. "I want her beside me, so I guess I'll have to pay for somebody to be there in case something happens to her, like another seizure. And as much as I hate to admit it, we all like you. It would be comfortable, easy." She shakes her head, a small amused smile on her face.

"You like me?" She asks. I shake my head.

"No. That was a slip of the tongue. How could I possibly like the lady who force fed me and kept me sane for days? That's crazy talk." I smirk. She hides her smile and shakes her head again.

"I have a job here, a good job. I would love to, but I can't, Ian." I move so that she can meet my eyes. I have some convincing to do.

"I am obscenely rich, Isabelle." She scoffs. "I will pay you better for your services for a month than this hospital has paid you for a year. After Violet's all better, you can come back here. And if they don't take you back? I'll support you until they do." She laughs.

"Ian, this is crazy and—" I don't let her finish.

"Yes, it's crazy, but so are you and the rest of us. Please do this for me." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. I go in for the kill. "Layla will be spending a lot of time with us..." Layla Suarez, in case you had forgotten her first name. Those two have a thing for each other.