Chapter 21

“Sometimes, the person you’d take a bullet for ends up being the one behind the gun.”

-Pinterest

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.”

-Mineko Iwasaki

 Violet

I don't know how I got here, but when I wake up I am in my room.

My head bangs painfully and it’s hard to keep my eyes open.

What the hell happened?
“Daniel?” I’m not sure if I actually say the name, but I feel hands in my hair, soothing me.

Things start coming to me:

I had gotten sick and panicked realizing I had been sick before and missed a period.

Ian won the fight.

Daniel brought me a pregnancy test.

It turned out positive.

Ian arrived and we made love.

I couldn’t tell him.

Instead, I told him I loved him.

And then he just…broke me.

"Thank God you woke up. I was beginning to get worried." Daniel says and my eyes focus on his face. It's upside down and I realize my head in on his lap.

"I need a shower." I tell him, disgusted that Ian's release must still be on me. He shakes his head.

"I took care of it.” He says, kissing my forehead. “Do you need to shower again?” I shake my head and relax against him. “All you need to do now is eat, but the fridge is empty. I hate to leave you alone, but Lina is on her way and you need to eat; take care of that baby." I try to smile at his sweet words, but I can't.

This baby...so sudden, so unexpected.

Made from a lie. From a heart-wrenching lie.

But I'll love it fiercely, because it was created with just that. Love.

"I'll be fine. You can go." I whisper, getting into a sitting position. He hugs me from behind and kisses my head.

"They were all lies, Violet. He loves you. I know it." He says against my shoulder. I move away from him, slightly.

How could he say that? How could he know?

"How would you know?" I whisper, turning my face to look at him. His hazel eyes meet mine.

"I cannot tell you how. I can only tell you that what he did…he did to protect you." I shake my head and move to stand.

"Thank you for everything, but I need to be alone for a moment." I whisper and he stands behind me.

"Of course, whatever you may need. Call me if anything and don't open the front door unless it’s me or Lina, please." He asks me. Without looking at him, I nod and then he's gone. I look at myself in the mirror and wince.

My eyes are swollen and bloodshot. My posture and expression is defeated.

There's knocking on the door. Daniel must have forgotten his keys, I look around for them and find them. I open the door, but it's not Daniel at the door.

It's Rebecca.

"What are you doing here?" I say, trying to sound indifferent. She takes one good look at me and cringes, then she looks around impatiently, almost frantic.