"Of course, tradition."

"Now, you're getting it."

Taking a step back, Maggie looked Carter over with a critical eye, trying to spot any imperfections. When she raised her gaze to Carter's, tears were building up.

"You look perfect," she said.

Without hesitating, Carter accepted her hug, smiling as Maggie squeezed once.

"I love you, Hun," she whispered. "I'm so happy I get to be here with you."

"I am too."

Maggie wiped away the betraying tears and smiled. A quick knock came and Eleanor peered inside.

"You ready...Oh, Carter, you look beautiful," Donovan's mother said, beaming at her future daughter-in-law.

"Thank you," Carter said. "And yes, we're ready."

Still dabbing at her eyes, Maggie left the room, followed by Carter. Simple piano music floated through the church, the sound mixing with the hum of voices and rustle of clothes. The foyer of the church was empty except for Maddy in a pale lavender dress and Steve, who held Danny in his arms. At the sight of his sister, Danny called out to her, reaching one hand towards her.

"Sarge!"

Smiling, she gave Danny's round baby cheek a kiss.

"Hey, Corporal."

As Maggie took the boy from her husband's arms and repeated his instructions for walking down the aisle, Eleanor spoke to Maddy. Steve stared at his daughter, his face full of love and a hint of sadness.

"I should have listened," he said, his voice quiet. "You warned me you would run away with a Marine and now you are."

Carter reached out and held onto his arm, feeling the steadiness that was always there.

"Getting married," she said. "Not running away."

Holding in his emotions, he pulled her into a hug.

"I love you, Sarge," he said, kissing her hair.

"I love you, Captain."

"Places everyone," Eleanor said with the voice that had commanded marines for thirty years.

Taking her father's arm, Carter joined the small line of people. Before the doors to the sanctuary opened, Maddy twisted around.

"You look beautiful, Carter," she said.

"Thank you."

From a side door, James and Clint appeared. Clint pulled the doors open and a hush fell over the waiting guests. An archway stood just beyond the doorway, lined with vines and white flowers. White satin sashes hung in elegant curves from the line of pews, with bows and bunches of flowers connecting them. A narrow white carpet had been rolled out down the aisle. At the front of the church, a minister waited, a table lined with flowers behind him.

James guided Eleanor to her seat. Giving a final comment Danny, Maggie let Clint escort her to her spot. After them, Danny proceeded to walk down with an encouraging little nudge from Maddy. Smiles and awes followed his path. Maddy went next, leaving Carter alone with her father.

Carter stared at the set of stairs that would be her final destination. With the archway in front of her, she couldn't see Donovan. When she gripped her father's arm, he looked down at her, but she couldn't meet his gaze.

"How can I be so nervous when I've never been more certain of anything in my life?"

"You have nothing to fear," he said. "He's a good man."