One of Those Nights

Start from the beginning

The door closed and Carter growled, clenching her fists.

"I'm going to kill your brother," she said.

These words snatched Donovan's attention.

"Good plan," he said. "I've always wanted to shoot James." As he twisted around trying to look at his back pocket, he began to turn in a circle, like a dog trying to catch its tail. "Where's my gun? It's usually-"

"Stop," Carter said, holding up her hands. "We are not killing your brother."

Donovan tossed his hands up, the gesture floppy. "Fine, if you say so."

He paused, listening to something. Carter realized he was hearing the music that still played in her room. A grin cut across his face.

"I like this song," he said. "Let's dance."

Even as he said the words, he started moving. The sight shocked Carter again, cause Donovan was as graceful and rhythmic as a waddling duck. The years of rigid drills had beaten the sense of movement out of him. As he tried to stay within the confines of the beat, Carter couldn't help thinking he was the dorkiest and most adorable thing she had ever seen.

Her amusement popped as he made his way towards her, his grin goofy and almost boyish in its happiness. Before he could get closer, she pressed a hand to his chest, stalling him. Even with her hand there, he still tried to bob in time to the music.

"Dance with me," he said.

"No, I'm getting you water and something to eat. Stay here and don't do anything."

Carter walked to the kitchen, glancing back to see if he had listened. When she saw he was staring at the wall half bouncing, she let out a sigh of relief. In the kitchen, she hastily grabbed a water bottle and threw together a sandwich.

When she returned to the living room it was to find Donovan staring intently at the framed photo of her father and Carter.

"Your dad terrifies me," Donovan said. His voice had lost the cheery note and his smile was gone. "I feel like a kid around him."

He scowled at the photo. Carter found she couldn't move. It was like peeking into the mind of someone she knew so well and yet held so many mysteries for her. The confession seemed to rattle Donovan and he roughly dragged a hand back and forth through his hair.

"I'm so scared that one day he's going to look at me," he continued, tapping the glass. "And say I'm not good enough. I can't have you."

"Captain doesn't dictate whom I date," Carter said, wanting to reassure him, worried about the fear that was so prevalent in his tone.

Donovan gave a derisive snort. "No, he just shoots them instead."

Suppressing a smile, Carter set the plate with the sandwich on the coffee table along with the water bottle. Donovan remained leaning towards the wall, unable to break away from the photo and his worries.

Cautiously, Carter took his hand and tugged him away. Before she could get him to the couch, Donovan became aware of her hand. He raised it before his face, inspecting it. Like a historian with a rare artifact, he turned it this way and that, touching the calluses and thumbing the knuckles that were still red.

A shiver ran down Carter's spine as she felt his breath skitter over her skin. Realizing how completely dangerous this night could end up being, she tugged her hand free and gave Donovan a gentle nudge to the couch. He plopped down and dazedly took the sandwich Carter put into his hand.

"Eat," she said.

Without question, Donovan followed her instruction. He then downed the whole bottle of water and Carter got him a second which he drank as greedily. When he was done, a part of himself seemed to return. Thinking it was safe again to be near him, Carter sat down on the couch.

As if it were the invitation he was looking for, Donovan twisted around and laid his head down next to her legs, draping his over the side of the couch.

Carter gave a squeak of surprise and Donovan smiled. It was a mixture of his old reserved self and the boyishness he had shown early. When all he did was stare up at her, Carter relaxed. The haze which had clouded Donovan's mind eased and his eyes were clearing.

"Man, you're beautiful," he breathed.

"And you're drunk."

His brows creased. "Does that negate, your beauty?"

Carter had to laugh at the fact that he could still sound smart while plastered.

"No, it just makes your view of the world skewed."

Donovan shook his head.

"I always know this."

For some reason, Carter found herself short of breath, like she had run a four-minute mile. Swallowing, she just smiled at him, not having a response. Donovan lifted a finger and tapped the bottom of Carter's chin.

"You have a freckle here," he said as if it were the most amazing discovery that had ever been made.

"I didn't know," she said.

Donovan gave a solemn nod. For a long while, the two of them remained that way, watching each other, saying nothing. Donovan's breathing slowed, his eyelids dipping on and off.

Then Carter reached up and ran her fingers through his hair. It was short and fell away from her grasp. Donovan closed his eyes, his body relaxing under her touch.

As she repeated the movement, he rested he hands on his stomach like a little kid. He breathed out a long breath and it sounded as if he was letting go of every burden he carried. Carter continued to stroke his hair, listening as each breath deepened. Right as she was certain he was sleep, he spoke, the words barely a whisper.

"Never...leave me...Carter."

A smile touched her lips and she played with a strand of his thick black hair.

"Never."

The minutes drifted away but Carter wasn't aware of it. The last lights from the neighboring homes flipped off, but she didn't care. The music had run itself out and all that was left was the silence and Donovan's breathing.

Reality finally came back when the front door opened and her father stepped in. At the sight of Donovan passed out, he froze. Carter's attention snapped to him.

"Don't you dare shoot him."

**********************************************************************

Hold it right there!

What you're holding it for I don't really know. So maybe you shouldn't stress about holding it and just go on your merry way!

So JoymomentsSISTER came up with the idea for this one cause I was stuck with my other story and needed something fun to write, so she suggested this. I liked it enough that I decided to go with it.

What do you think?

Honestly I don't think getting drunk is the best idea (but to each his own) but it did allow Donovan to drop a little of his intense nature and be more honest. I thought that an interesting moment to explore. And I like to hope that as their relationship grows he's able to be this open and honest without the courage of alcohol.

Leave whatever thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams you have behind!

And remember to vote, comment, follow! Or not. I'm don't really care either way.

 I'm don't really care either way

Donovan. In case you were having trouble picturing him.