A Special Sort of Problem

Start from the beginning

He reached out and took one of her hands. The contact sent a surge of warmth through Carter. She met his steady gaze.

"No. I like you right here. Right next to me."

Carter smiled. The look quickly slipped into something teasing. "Good, 'cause I had no intention of humiliating myself."

"Also, your father would shoot me on sight," Donovan said.

He glanced across the room. Steve was dressed in a black suit and surveying the scene with an impassive expression.

"He never did strike me as the chaperone type of father," he said.

"No, but when he heard I was going with you he quickly signed up."

"He still doesn't trust me."

"Trust is something you earn. And you're getting close. It just takes time."

"Good thing I'm not going anywhere."

He smiled at her then looked back to the mass of dancers, reassuring himself Link was safe. With his attention else where, Carter let eyes linger on him. The way his dress shirt and slacks fit him perfectly. It was hard not to admire the build of his arms and torso. When her gaze rose from his chest to his face, she found him looking at her, a smirk spreading across his lips. She struggled to control her expression, but his eyes only brightened with a teasing look at her embarrassment.

"Thanks," he said, making her scowl in annoyance. "You should know the thoughts are mutual."

Unlike her, his gaze never left her face, as if the intelligence he saw there was all he needed to find her attractive. She tried to fight the grin creeping to her mouth, but it eventually won out.

"I have to say your outfit looks far more comfortable than mine," she said.

She looked down at her simple v-neck black dress.

"Maggie picked it out," she said, lifting one edge of the thigh length skirt. "I only said yes because the other option had sequins. It could have been worse. What do you think?"

Donovan took this as an invitation to let himself admire the way the dress followed the curve of her body. Carter returned his smirk when he met her gaze again, satisfied with the look in his eye.

"You are the perfect combination of beautiful and dangerous."

She winked. "Good answer."

Donovan's attention jumped away as Carter's father left his post and moved towards one of the exits.

"Where is he going?"

"Checking the perimeter, is my guess. Make sure no students have snuck away to do things they shouldn't be."

"For their sakes, I hope they aren't. I can't imagine your father being very lenient with them."  

"No, but it will tough them up to do twenty push ups in formal attire."

Donovan chuckled at the image. The music switched tempos and the groups of grinding students scattered into pairs, arms falling around necks and wrapping around waists. Carter noticed as Maddy instantly rested her head on Link's shoulders and he rested his cheek on her hair. For some reason, she couldn't look away, watching as the couple was lost in their own world.

"I would say a thorough perimeter check takes about half an hour, wouldn't you agree?" Donovan asked.

Carter frowned in puzzlement at the question but nodded. "Roughly that, yes."

"Good."

He took her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor.

"What are you doing?" she asked.