Chapter 36

Ezras pov:

My muscles are aching from the strain I put on them but I still don't stop. I do every physical thing I can to get rid of my anger and frustration, to try and cope a bit without her. Noah's back on the job and we have yet to hear something from the scouts.

Every time that I feel a pain that doesn't belong to me, I double my workout or stretch my hours that I'm here. All I can think about is how I've failed her. How I've failed at keeping her safe and now other wolves are hurting her.

All because I failed as a mate.

A strong stabbing pain shoots down my back and a growl rips from my chest. I double my time and punch the bag faster. Left, right, left, right. I continue with more force as the pain continues, ignoring how my shoulders and back muscles scream in protest. I go until the chain holding the bag up breaks and the bag tumbles to the floor with a last punch. I merely stare at it before I get a new bag and replace the old one.

I start my routine over again.

I can feel wolves trying to reach me through the link but I blocked everyone and everything out. The only connection that's still open is the one with Zaya, which might as well be blocked because I feel nothing on her side except for the pain.

At least she's still alive. I know it's a horrible way of thinking but it's the only proof I have. It gives me a little hope and I hate myself even more for thinking that way. My mate's pain isn't supposed to give me hope!

I'm a terrible mate.

I only punch the bag with more force than necessary. More speed. I want to feel the pain, I deserve it. My knuckles are bleeding but I still don't stop and Zaire doesn't try to stop me either. I think deep down that he feels the same. The more wolves that try to get me to take a break, the longer I go. Zaya doesn't get to have a break so neither do I.

I hear rapid footsteps all around upstairs in the house but I ignore it. I hear distant shouting but can't make out the words, I still ignore it. It's probably Noah shouting at some guard or something. He's also stressed and tired. He's more of the Alpha figure right now than me and has taken everything on his shoulders to try and give me some space.

"Ezra!" Noah barges into the training room but I don't turn around, I just keep punching the bag. "Stop blocking the link and making me run everywhere. Goddess I'm tired." He huffs out of breath. "Seriously man, why do you do this to me?" He sounds better and slowly walks towards me, coming to stand almost next to/in front of me.

"It's not like you had to look far. I'm in here or my office." I say without stopping.

"Oh yeah, I forgot." He looks a bit sheepish before his whole demeanor changes again. "Anyway, this isn't why I came to find you. They found a trace."

My whole body freezes upon his words, my fist still mid punch. I look at my Beta and best friend. "What?" I say, barely above a whisper.

"They found her."

XXXXXX

Zaya's pov:

I'm going to kill him.

Screw this. Screw me doing nothing against these people. Screw me not fighting back. I'm a bloody Lycan and they're just wolves. And I'll kill Deacon I swear. He's made my life miserable for far too long and he took me away from my mate, my family amd my friends. My pack.

Unlike last time, this time I have something to fight for.

I'm going to kill him.

I repeat these thoughts over and over again. Getting a faint scent from my pack the other day, started a fire within me. I was reminded why I shouldn't be here and why I should fight. The repetitive thoughts onlt add fuel to the fire until I feel it in every part of my body.