Chapter 23

Zaya p.o.v

After the whole tour - The kitchen, bedroom, living room, bathroom etc. - we settle to watch a movie on the couch. We watch a lot of movies, I know. But it's winter, what do you expect? He's making hot chocolate for us. And this is why I'm standing alone in the living room, not knowing what to do. In a place where I know where nothing is. And I have to choose the movie. I have such a smart mate.

Speaking of the devil.

My mate waltzes into the room, two cups of hot chocolate and different kind of cookies on a tray. He sets it down on a small coffee table and walks over to me.

"Here I made hot chocolate and got cookies and you did nothing?" He asks with a teasing smirk.

"I don't know where anything is!" I exclaim as I throw my hands up. He laughs at me and I pout which only makes him laugh more.

"You look cute when you do that." He says as he takes my hand and drags me towards the couch, the pout still etched onto my face. "What about we skip the movie, just relax and drink the hot chocolate then?"

"Okay." I say as I take off my boots and sit cross-legged on the couch. He looks at me, shakes his head with a silent laugh and hands me my hot chocolate. "Thank you." I say as he grabs his own cup and settles down on the couch next to me.

Note: not cross-legged

"So tell me about yourself." He says after he took a sip from his mug.

"What do you want to know?" I ask, taking my own sip.

He thinks for a moment. "Well I eventually need to know everything so you can start wherever you want."

"Hmm okay, let's see." I put my mug down on the table again and count on my fingers. "I finished werewolf school, I was the Beta's daughter, had a shi- not normal life filled with... er... events, made an amazing new friend and lived peacefully for the first time in a while. Then got dragged away from that life, found my mate, spent a few nights in jail and now I'm here. On this couch." I pick up my mug again and take another sip.

He looks down guiltily and fiddles with his thumbs on the side of his cup. "I'm sorry if I ruined your perfect life that you had. I know it was wrong. And I'm sorry for making you spend time in jail." He says softly.

"It wasn't perfect at all. Luca just made it a whole lot more bearable for me. Less depressing." I say, and it was true. Another wave of longing washed over me at the thought of him. "He helped me cope with everything that happened."

"Luca?" Ezra grits out, bordering on a growl. "Him again? Who is he?"

I roll my eyes. "Don't go jealous Alpha on me now. He's a friend, probably the only true one I've made as a Lycan."

His eyebrows bunch together. "Didn't you say that you went to school? Did you never make friends there?"

I look at him, dumbfounded. "Of course I did." What kind of stupid question is that?

"But you just said that he's the only friend that you made. "

"As a Lycan, yes."

"I don't follow." He makes the cutest face when he's confused and I wish that I could take a picture. I need a phone, seriously.

"I went to school as a wolf and became a Lycan after school." I explain, it being the most simplest explanation ever.

His jaw drops nearly to the floor. "You weren't born a Lycan?"

"None of us are." I take in his expression. "You really didn't know?" I ask quietly and he slowly shakes his head.

"No, I always thought that Lycans were born. How do you exist then?"