Chapter 8

*Warning: Violence and torture during this chapter*

I woke up, feeling even emptier than usual. Memories from the previous day flashed in my mind. The moon goddess. I belong to her now. I am immortal now and I have no soul, huh. How can she just take someone's soul?!

"It's what she does, believe it or not. It happens more often than you would think. "

"So you finally decided to show up. How kind of you."

"Stop being a bitch to me. I have done nothing to you. I've helped you through everything in your life. EVERYTHING. I'm also the only person willing to give you the damn answers you want."

"Sorry Vera. I truly am sorry. I hope that you can forgive me."

"Of course I can, I just want you to know that I want to help."

"So what were the answers you were talking about?"

"The moon goddess has existed since werewolves existed. There are a handful of immortal wolves out there, this isn't the first time that this has happened. It's like your own little unique pack, all immortal, upsetting the balance and paying for it."

"Really? How and where can I find them?"

"They're not a pack, that was a wrong way to describe it. It's a few wolves scattered across the world. They find you."

"Oh that sounds umm...interesting. Do wolves like us have a name? Since we're not normal anymore?"

"You're called Lycans. Immortal wolves working for the moon goddess."

"So we are a Lycan now?"

"Yes"

"And what comes with being a Lycan? Except for being immortal."

"Faster healing than a normal wolf, literally anything heals. Silver and wolfsbane still hurt extremely and it slows down your healing but you can't die from it."

"That's cool I guess."

After a short silence of me just standing there, not knowing what to do, I pick up my bag and start to wander a bit.

"Well, what do we do now Vera?"

"Live life as a rogue I guess and do what the moon goddess wants us to do."

After that I shifted. And so, my hell of a life started, a soulless rogue. A Lycan.

********
A few months have passed after that day. And let me tell you: some packs are really not fond of rogues. How do I know? I don't really, but 4 death threats from Alphas, 2 actually trying to kill you and one currently chasing me might be a hint that they don't like rogues. Or they just don't like me.

Anyway, here I am in wolf form, running for my life once again. Life's just fantastic. My wolf is really working overtime and I need to thank her for that later. Over the past few months she has really saved my life, well hers too. (It's the thought that counts)

I feel her taking control of my limbs again, something we started to do often now. She would take over my limbs but leave my mind to me. She steered us right, just in time for my wolf to miss the cliff. My back left leg catching air as we turned.

"For the love of all things made by the goddess, focus Zaya. We almost fell down the cliff."

"Sorry and thank you again for saving my butt."

"Yeah no problem, I'd prefer to live anyway."

"I know, I know."

And this is why I needed her more than anything else in the world. She keeps me sane, grounded and alive. She pushed my legs to go faster when I heard the rest of the pack getting closer. This has been the longest that I have been chased, my body is starting to get tired, the weight of it bringing me down. I knew that this pack would not give up. Normally, I'd fight my way out but these wolves were big, strong and smart. There were also a lot of them. I couldn't let them succeed in capturing me, or worse, in killing me and Vera.