"Are you okay?" he asked quietly as his gaze searched her eyes. "I was a-alone. Then th-the noises. It was loud and I was s-scared." she explained as her breath was doing its best to even out.

He softly shushed her and told her it would be okay as he pressed a tender kiss to her forehead. That was when Mike had an idea. "Here." he said as his right hand grasped her left.

He walked over to the couch, El following closely behind. He used his free hand to grab onto the blanket that sat on the back of the couch and pulled it to his chest. "Come on." he said sincerely as he lead her back to the front door.

When he was about to open the door, El halted behind him, pulling him to a stop. He turned around to face her. She had tears building her eyes as they widened at the realization that he wanted to take her out there.

"B-But the noises." she tried to excuse as she searched his eyes. "El, you're safe. I promise." he said as he gave her hand a slight squeeze of encouragement.

She still stared at him hesitantly.

"I need you to trust me."

He looked at her questioningly and a small, nervous smile appeared on her face as she nodded her head lightly.

He opened the door and lead her outside, down the porch steps, and out to open space where Hopper would usually park his car.

Unfortunately, Mike had to let go of El's hand to lay out the blanket, but as soon as he was finished, he intertwined their fingers again.

He sat down first, gently pulling her to sit beside him. She immediately scooted as close as possible, finding a comfortable spot, nestled into his side as he wrapped an arm around her waist to pull her closer.

That's when the next boom went off. El jumped slightly at the sound, closing her eyes tightly and tightening her grip on Mike's hand as she brought herself even closer.

"Hey, it's okay, it's just the fireworks." Mike explained softly. El raised her head to look up at him. "Fireworks?" she asked curiously. She had probably heard the word muttered once or twice within the past year but she never thought to ask what they were.

"Yeah. They're these kind of small rockets that are shot off into the sky. When they get to a certain point, they have a small explosion that creates colorful lights. That's what the loud sound is."

El listened intently as Mike did his best to explain what the bright lights were.

"It's like a tradition for the 4th of July. People like to come outside and watch them. Sometimes they set off their own or, a lot of people like to go the fair to watch the ones that they set off. Those ones are bigger."

El didn't quite understand what was so interesting about these fireworks since she had never seen them before. Mike brought his right arm up to check the time on his watch. He wanted to show El the fireworks. He hoped it would make them less scary for her.

The next set of fireworks were about start any minute so Mike pulled El closer. She rested her head on his shoulder, his head resting atop hers.

When the first pop when off, El jumped once again. Mike assured her that they were safe and directed her gaze to the sky. They had a perfect shot of the bright lights through the clearing in the trees.

After a couple of the fireworks going off, El wasn't scared anymore. She started to realize why people liked watching the streaks of color fill the sky. It was beautiful, and being in Mike's arms, safe and warm, made it even better.

They continued watching the fireworks. The sky filled with flashes of red, white, and blue. At one point in the show, El lifted her head off of Mike's shoulder to look at him. His eyes connected with hers.

"Thank you." she said with a small smile. "What for?" Mike asked softly. "For showing me the lights. The fireworks."

"Of course. I'm glad you like them." he said as he leant forward to connect their foreheads for the second time that night. El nuzzled button nose softly against his larger one before Mike raised his eyes to look into hers, asking for approval.

A smile broke out over her face, then Mike's. Their lips finally met in the middle. Their kisses had been getting longer lately. It was different from the small kiss they shared at the Snow Ball.

It was something new for both of them, and they both enjoyed it quite a lot. It was a new sensation that connected them even further than they were before. They were glad that got to experience these new things together, these new steps in their relationship, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Her lips moved softly against his as she brought a hand up to softly cradle the side of his face. He brought his hand up to gently stroke the arm that was was holding his face. They continued to kiss softly until the kiss came to a close.

Their lips separated slowly, before they let their hands drop and resumed to their cuddling position. Both of them were content with the moment, wanting no more and no less.

The perfect 4th of July.

word count: 2061
a/n: so, I hope you guys liked that oneshot. I tried to make it really fluffy to fill the hole that was left in my mileven heart after season three.

once again, if you would like a chapter where I answer questions about my opinions on st3 or anything else, then please, let me know here and comment your questions:)

please vote for this chapter and remember requests are always open!