Chapter 3

I was leaving my apartment heading out for a date of all things. I walked out of the building and was stopped by Klaus. "What do you want?" I asked him. "I just want to talk." "Well I'm busy so maybe another time." He laughed, "Don't worry about your date; I'm sure you can reschedule it." I sighed. "Fine."

We were walking for a while. Walking and talking like decent people. "Wait I have a question," I said to him. "Alright." "What happened to you? Why are you this way?" He sighed. "Well, quite a few things. My father and mother hated me because of what I was. Well, my father hated me before that because I was a bastard." "How do you believe that? I mean I know he was a vampire hunting vampire who hunted your family but that doesn't mean he hated you before that."

"He killed the love of my life." I was in complete shock. How could a decent human being do that, especially to his own son. "I'm so sorry. Tell me about her."

"Well, she came to the new world shortly after we did and lived in the same area we did. She was a beauty beyond any other."

Katlynn's POV (when her name was Alina)

I walked though the woods at night and it was a full moon. I was looking for berries and things to gather. I heard a howl I knew I wouldn't be able to out run the wolves. The howls were getting even closer and closer. I wouldn't have time to get back to my house. I heard a wolf coming closer to me. I was suddenly pulled over to a tree and a hand was place over my mouth. A man had his finger over his lips signaling to be quiet. I nodded and he removed his hand from my mouth. "Come on." He grabbed my hand and we ran towards the settlement. We got there safely. "Thank you," I said to the man. He had red hair that hung to his shoulders. "You should not be out at night during a full moon." He walked away.

The next day, I awoke and the woman I lived with who pretended to be my mother told me we were invited to eat supper with another family. I hated the thought. I walked outside and tended to the werewolves who needed clothes and food. I saw the man from last night sword fighting with a man who had a similar hairstyle but black hair. I walked over and watched them. He beat the other man. everyone was cheering and laughing. "Anyone else want a go at it?" he said with a joking smile. "I would," I said. Everyone was surprised as I stepped up to him. I took my hood off and handed it to the dark haired man and grabbed a sword. "I will not sword fight a girl," he said. I swung the sword and he blocked it. "How about a woman?" I asked smirking. He smirked back and we fought for a moment until I disarmed him. He stood up. "Very good. My name is Niklaus." "Nice to meet you Niklaus." I grabbed my hood and turned to walk away. "I did not hear your name," he shouted. "I did not say it." I walked to my house and got ready for the dinner we were invited to.

That night we walked to a home and knocked on the door. The door was answered by a young blond woman. "Hello, you must be Alina," she spoke to my mother, "I am Rebekah. Please do come in." We walked in and saw everyone sitting. "Maria welcome," an older blond woman spoke, "and this must be your daughter." "Hello," I spoke softly, "my name is Alina." "I am Esther. Welcome to our home. This is my husband, Mikael, and these are three of my son's, Finn, Kol, and Henrick, my other sons should be here shortly. Please have a seat." We all walked to the table and sat. As soon as we did, the door opened and two other men walked in and it was the two men from earlier. "Ah, Alina, these are my other sons, Elijah and Niklaus." They came in and sat down and we all are dinner. After dinner, we were all outside, I sat away from everyone watching as they laughed, and I looked at the stars. "Beautiful are they not?" Niklaus came up and stood beside me. "Yes, they are." I was standing there awkwardly. Niklaus was very sweet. He made me laugh. We were talking for a while before my mother called me away to go home.

We got to the house and my mother brought up a subject I didn't except. "Esther and I were speaking and we think that you and Elijah would make a lovely couple." "What?" "We think that you two should spend more time together." "No."

"You really do not have a choice."

"She was suppose to marry my brother." He seemed genuinely upset. "What happened after that?" "Well, after a while of meeting in secret. Alina quit seeing my brother but we didn't tell anyone about our meetings."

I was sitting with Rebekah making some flower bracelets when Niklaus came running and screaming for help. He was covered in blood and hold Henrick. "Rebekah, get you mother. Elijah! Kol!" We ran to him and his mother followed soon after. "We were watching the wolves." He began crying as he sat his younger brothers body on the ground. That night, Niklaus and I met at the waterfall like always. I ran and hugged him. "I am so sorry about Henrick." He tried not to cry. He kissed me and I kissed him back. "Lets run away together, tomorrow night." "Are you serious?" I asked. "Yes. I love you and if we stay here we will never be able to be together so lets leave." I smiled and said, "Alright." The next night I waited and waited. Niklaus didn't show up. Suddenly a sound came from within the trees and I turned. "Niklaus?" I turned and suddenly a knife was jammed into my abdomen. I looked forward and saw Mikael. "Why?" I asked. "Because you chose him and he does not deserve that happiness." I fell to the ground and everything began to fade away.

"That was the night I was turned into a vampire, and when I went to meet her she was lying there, dead." I felt a tear fall down my cheek. "How did you find out who did it?"

"When I got back home I had her body and I carried her inside and laid her on the table and asked my mother to help bring her back. Then my father walked up an hour and said she is dead for a reason." "That's awful." "It was the only period of my life where I actually felt time. Losing her was the hardest thing that ever happened." I wiped my face. "I don't mean to upset you." "No one deserves that, not even you."