Chapter 28

Death. All I remembered was death. All I've known my whole life. I was scared, but this didn't feel like it has the other times. It felt different. I looked around and I was standing in the woods. I looked around me and saw different people. Some were strangers, most of them actually. I saw a familiar face. It was Kol. "Kol? What happened?" I asked. "You're dead." It wasn't exactly a surprise I remembered dying. "I know that, but shouldn't I have passed through the anchor?" "Not exactly." "What do you mean, Kol?" "You'll see." I had no idea why he was talking about. I started feeling as if I were being pulled.
I woke up in my bed. I saw Rebekah. "What's going on?" "When my brother got to you, you weren't completely dead so he fed you his blood to heal you, but you died." "Are you saying I'm in transition?" I asked. She nodded, "You need to feed to complete the transition." I got up and walked over to my window. I think I was in shock. Rebekah knew I wasn't sure how to handle this. "Katy," she said, "I have to leave soon, I am taking Hope and hiding her from the witches." "Who is Hope?" I asked before realizing it was the baby. "Is Hayley alright?" I asked. "She is fine. The witches think they killed her and the baby so I am taking her to keep her safe. But I must be going soon, there is a glass on your nightstand of blood. Please, Katy, drink it." She hugged me and said , "I don't want to lose you again." Then she left.
I stood there thinking. I could die or be a vampire. I walked over to my nightstand. I thought about Amara and Katherine and Stefan and Elijah and Klaus and everyone who has been a vampire. None of them asked for it, well except for Katherine. She wanted it. I didn't know what to do. I stayed in my room for most of the day. It was dark and lonely so I enjoyed it. I hadn't decided if I wanted to do this yet. How could i? How could I not? I didn't want to, but I thought of all of the people I would be leaving. I'd be giving up. I never wanted to live like this, but I couldn't give up. I took the glass off of my nightstand and drank it.
I stepped out of my room and saw Klaus, Elijah, and Marcel. "Kaitlynn," Elijah said quietly. They all turned to look at me. I walked to the staircase and walked down. I hadn't seen them since, well, you know. I didn't know what to say to him. I did care about him and I didn't want to hurt him. I did say anything. "Katy," Marcel said, "Are you okay?" "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm adjusting." "You completed the transition?" Elijah asked. "Everything feels different and the same." I ignored his obvious question. Klaus was just looking at me. He didn't speak and I didn't know what to say. "Where is Hayley?" I asked. "She wanted to be alone," Elijah said. I nodded understanding why.
"I am gonna go see her," I said. "No," Elijah said grabbing my arm, "she asked to be alone. We should let her rest." I pulled my arm away from him and said, "Fine."
I walked back to my room and looked out of the balcony. I felt the wind and where as I used to get chills, nothing happened. I didn't know what to do right now. I closed my eyes and just let myself stand there, letting the breeze hit my skin. I wanted to go out and feed but I don't think that they would let me leave. I looked down at the people. Listening to the blood pumping through them. I needed to get some blood. I could smell the blood everywhere. I wanted it, I needed it. I walked out of my bedroom. I needed to be around vampires to reduce the temptation. I walked around the second level balcony. I wanted to check on Hayley but I don't think Elijah would let me. But checking on Klaus was different. I know that Klaus doesn't want people to think that he is vulnerable, but I know him better than anyone else. I knocked on his door. He didn't answer, so I walked in. "Klaus? Are you in here?" I asked closing the door behind me. I walked in further and didn't see Klaus. "Klaus?" "Kaitlynn?" I heard him. He was standing on his balcony. "Hi," I said. We hadn't really spoken lately. He didnt say anything. "I just wanted to check in on you. I know what you're going though. It's never easy." He didn't answer. I walked over to him and put my hand on his arm. "Klaus, please talk to me." He looked at me with the same look I had when Katherine died. His daughter wasn't dead but for all intensive purposes she was. "Klaus, you know that nothing is going to happen to her. She's safe." "I hope so," he said. We stood so close that it felt like there was no room to breathe. "I should go check on Hayley," I said and started to walk to the door. I got to the door and opened it. I didn't want to hurt Elijah or Klaus. I did care for the both of them, but everything I knew about myself was different with him. We looked at each other for a moment and I said, "What the hell." I vamped over to Klaus and kissed him. He wrapped his arms around my waist and returned the kiss. The emotions were running high and I knew that this wasn't the right time for this, but I just wanted it. We heard someone behind us and I turned to see Marcel. I took my arms down from around his neck. "Uh, you guys need to hear something," he said then walked away. I looked at Klaus and he grabbed my hand and we went to follow Marcel. He led us to Genevieve. She was crying. My immediate response was to try to kill her and Klaus knew that. He put is arm in front of me so that I couldn't get to her. "I only did it because they told me to," she said with tears streaming down her face. "Who?" Klaus asked. "Your mother." Blood starting coming out of her eyes and nose. She was dying. "I'm so sorry, I never wanted this. She reached her hand out to me and I grabbed it. I felt a shiver down my spine and I let go of her hand.
They took her body to the graveyard back to the witches. I didn't know what she did to me but I had a feeling I would find out. I went out to the bayou to get away for a few minutes. Esther. It was her doing this to us. Why did that not surprise me. Ever since that spell was done to turn the werewolves back human this place is almost abandoned. I walked around for a while. I loved it out here. "Katy?" I heard someone behind me. I turned to see Marcel. "What are you doing out here?" "I just wanted to get away for a bit." "Want some company?" "Sure." There was some tension, after him he swung me and Klaus kissing of course there is. "So," he started, "what the hell is going on with you and Klaus?" I took a deep breath. "Marcel, I  can't explain it. When I'm with him it just feels right." "Does Elijah know?" "Elijah, is in love with Hayley and he and I both know it. Can we stop talking about this, please?" "Sorry, I just don't want to see you get hurt, Katy. I know how he is." "I can take care of myself." "I know you can, Katy, but can I ask you something?" I nodded. "Why him?" I took a deep breath. "When I am with him, everything is different. He brings out the best and the worst in me. I remembered the past and it all makes sense. I love him," I heard something behind us and I turned to see Kol. "Kol? What is going on? Why can I see you?" "She was right."