Betrayal At The House On The Hill Part 4

"Now what?" Oli asks.

"I don't know!" Joey hisses. he's gripping both my wrists, holding me to him tightly. My back against his chest, his chin on my head. I'd think it's romantic if Sarah wasn't about to rip our guts out. But we're getting somewhere, but I honestly have no clue where to go from here.

"I don't know what the—" Fortunately, Eva has the smart idea to look around.

"Oh yess." She picks up a tiny chest and pries it open.

"What is it?" both boys want to know. I roll my eyes. It's an emerald, accompanied by a note. Eva pockets the gem, takes a deep breath, and reads the note aloud.

"I overlook the back of the estate, and wait to feast on green. A met—"  she's cut off.

"Guys, guys," Oli whimpers, pointing at the stairwell.

"Here she comes." Sarah's heading back up the stairs, and she looks more malevolent than ever.

"She's coming. Get down!" Eva gets down but I'm already down.  Joey makes sure to slide the door down behind us, and we crouch out of Sarah's line of sight. Once we're safely hidden, Eva reads the note again.

"I overlook the back of the estate, and wait to feast on green. A metal spiral—" But She goes quiet, and I now realize that Sarah's peering through the glass window right above the door. Fortunately, our hiding place remains secure, and Sarah goes away after frowning at the gargoyle for several seconds.

"Did she see us?" Eva asks frantically.

"No." Joey takes a deep breath, glad they're still alive.

"Oh my god. Okay." Eva turns her attention back to the note.

"A metal spiral of pain will lead you to my table of blood."

"Spiral staircase," Eva murmurs, her hands shaking uncontrollably.

"Back of the house. It must be. Let's...let's go."

Before we leave, I check to make sure that Sarah isn't in sight.

"She's gone," I report.

"Come on." Joey rushes.  He lifts up the door, and we are out of there.

"I'm leaving the torch," says Oli. It takes me a minute to realize that Oli is referring to his flashlight.

"Okay. Let's go let's go let's go let's go. We have to be quiet." Joey frantically says.

"Go," Oli quietly echoes.

"Go, go, go."

"Out the front door." I say.  But then, as soon as Joey makes a run for the door, the worst-case scenario unfolds before him.

"Ha!" It's Sarah. She's seen him. Joey bolts out the door, me following shortly. I can hear Sarah shout Marvin's name, and a feeling of dread creeps through my veins, freezing my blood into a solid.

"Guys! Where are they? Where are they? Oli? Eva?" Shit they didn't catch up. I look at Joey.

He's scared, but all we can do is duck behind the fountain and worry.

"Ugh!" He beats the ground with ineffectual fists.

"I'm so freakin' upset!" I sit my ass down next to him, and grab his hand.

"Come on!" shouts Arthur in the distance. I freeze at Arthur's voice.

"This is insane! You guys are the worst searchers I've ever hired!" I'm so glad he hired them specifically.