Did Someone Call For An Exorcist? Part 2

"Okay." Eva shrugs. 

"Let's go."

Everyone trudges their way out the door. 

"Let's go to the basement," sighs Tim.

Oli frowns. 

"What do you think there's going to be in the basement?" he says. 

"Death machine." Tim's chipper attitude has mysteriously disappeared, and now he's scowling at the back of Joey's head. 

"We're all gonna die." he continues. No one's been down in the basement before, except for four; me, Eva, Justine, and Andrea, and only two of us are alive now, but we don't seem to be particularly eager to make a return trip. Especially considering what happened to Andrea. But here we are, walking down the cavernous hallway, and it's creepy enough to send chills down my spine. As we pass by the first room, they can see the ungodly machine—including a three-second glimpse of Andrea's corpse. She's trapped against the wall of her glass coffin, the fumes blurring her face, a disgusting blackish moisture around her body. Oli, who's the first to spot her, takes one look and nearly vomits.

"Guys..." Joey gasps. Lele gulps. Eva bites her lip. Sierra fights back tears. Matt distracts Tim with the classic gullible-on-the-ceiling prank. Tim looks up, laughs, and calls Matt a douchebag, all of which (thankfully) prevent him from seeing what's left of his friend. Is this our fate? Will we all end up like—Don't. Forget it. Moving on. The second room is locked. Fortunately, the key in Eva's hand is able to work its magic, and the door swings open to reveal...

"Oh god." Sierra's mouth drops open. 

"What is this?"  

'This' is a small room, dimly lit, with a statue of Mary sitting on a table, as well as a few candles scattered here and there. At first glance, it doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary.

But that's before we noticed the priest. Yes. A priest. There's a priest in the basement. Because, at this point, why not.

"What the hell..."

"Don't!" The priest's right arm shoots out at the group, as if he's expecting them to attack him. 

"Don't come any closer."  He's a tall guy, about Oli's height, with a frizzy mess hair covering both his head and his face. His hands clutch a Bible tight. He paces around the confines of a strange, small circle, and his eyes hold fear. 

 "Guys." He points to the circle, and my attention is drawn to the complicated mess of symbols within its borders. 

"That looks like what we just tried to do." he added. The priest's voice trembles. 

"What happened?"

"We were trying to bind the evil so that we could get home," explains Matt. He sounds calm, but I still remember the anger in his voice after the ritual proved to be a failure. And that was, what, five minutes ago? Maybe Lele's right. Maybe Matt is bipolar.

"Were you able to accomplish anything?" he asks.

"No," sighs Eva. 

"It didn't work. The devil laughed at us."

"Listen." The priest speaks slowly.

"The evil of this house gathers its strength from its five former owners, and when they are released..." He gulps down a breath. 

"That's when the demon will be weak enough to banish." Joey turns to the group, resignation in his eyes. 

"That's why it didn't work." ugh. Is this ever going to end?