Freak Show: Part 4

same pov

"Ok, Eva? What does that say?" sierra asks in a high pitched voice. Eva holds up the note that Arthur gave her, squinting at the cursive.

"The two wearing the clown masks will be invisible to the Guardian and should search for clues. The rest of you must hide from the Guardian past the grass line on the back of the estate. Every five minutes, a gong will sound, and one of the masked guests must run to the exchange circle and place the mask on another guest.The Guardian patrols the grass-covered area. If everyone is captured, the Guardian wins, and the artifacts will be recovered by the house. You will be back at the beginning."

"No!" me and Joey scream.

A lump forms in my throat. i see Matt play with the mask in his hands, twisting the red nose like it's a doorknob. We can't start over. We can't. Not after everything we've been through. Not when we're almost home. Because if we do...Shane, Andrea, Justine, and GloZell will have died for nothing. And more people will have to follow them to the grave. We-i can't let that happen.

"Please decide among you who will wear the masks first." Arthur says, i turn and galre at him, hard, he steps back.

"Should we have our fastest people without the masks, then?" suggests Matt, i can sense a hint of fear leaking out of his voice. He points to the girls. 

"You guys are wearing heels..." he trails off. 

"We're fast," mutters Lele offended by the accusation. Matt frowns. 

"Well, I was just looking out for your safety," he sighs, trying to avoid her gaze. "And your ankles." he adds.

"What do you have against girls?" Sierra shoots back. Oh no another fight. 

"Okay—"

"Honestly," snaps Eva, pointing at Matt.

"I would be perfectly fine leaving him in 1920..." Matt looks at me for help but i look away. 

Oh, God, no.

At least Tim's on his side. 

"I think he was trying to help!"

Matt's just about to say something when another roar is heard in the room. 

Oh shit. It's coming. It's almost here. We have to go. Now.

"Marvin says that the Guardian is on his way to the house as we speak," says Arthur, passing out flashlights to the terrified group. wtf. 

"Oh, no," moans Eva.

And then, before anyone has the chance to do anything, the Guardian appears. To call the Guardian a "monster" would be a freaking understatement.First of all, it's huge. It's muscles look like those of a pumped-up steroid junkie. It could probably break Oli's body in half with a flick of its pinky finger. Second of all, it's ugly. Its skin is the color of soot, and its face looks like someone hit it with a bat. Horns poke out from the top. Its teeth are daggers. Its shoulder blades are actual blades. And worst of all, there's a murderous look in its pitch-black eyes, as if it would like nothing better than to rip the life out of any human it can get its humongous hands on.

As if? There's no "as if." It wants to kill us. shit. 

It bangs on the window, slobbering all over the glass, making everyone in the group scream. Matt falls flat on his back, knocking over a chair in the process. Sierra and Joey almost trip over each other trying to reach the door. I'm holding a hand over my heart, and Eva is gripping Oli's arm. We all look at each other and sprint out the door, across the lawn, and towards the back of the estate.