Wicked Hallucinations Part 1

Oli stands up and begins to search the shelves. "We need to find something."

"What else did it say?" asks Joey.

 "Anything?" I ask.

Oli's too engrossed in his search to acknowledge Joey's question. "Oh!" He grabs a strange little box from a nearby desk. "What's this?"

"It has the symbol," Lele points out. They gather around the box. It's locked, as usual, behind a combination. 

"There's four numbers," mutters Oli under his breath.

"Look, look!" Joey points. 

"There's colors. Black, grey, green, and yellow. I don't know what that means, but—"

"That's blue!" Lele snaps. Puzzles. Yes. This is what Eva is good at. Solving puzzles. Finding clues. Anything to take her mind off of her Tim-related failures. Now...how to solve this color scheme?

Lightbulbs.

Of course! Vincent likes lightbulbs. They come in many different colors. There's got to be some lightbulbs around here.

"The lightbulbs." The words come out as a sort of strangled cry from me. 

"Check the lightbulbs."

They follow my suggestion, and they begin to search for lightbulbs, and at first, nothing comes of it. But just as we're about to give up on the idea altogether, I hear Oli's voice from the parlor. 

"Guys?"

"What?" Lele asks back.

"This lightbulb isn't on." Oli sounds genuinely shocked. 

"And I swear this was always on." he continues. Sure enough, the lightbulb in question has mysteriously gone dark. As me, Joey, Eva, and Lele look on, Oli unscrews the bulb from its lamp. 

"Oh!" He holds it up. It's yellow, and there's a giant 1 burned into its glass. 

"Yes. Yellow." he cheers.

"We should find more of those," says Lele, a sense of urgency lacing her otherwise calm voice.

"Yeah," Oli agrees. "We need to find more lightbulbs."

Before I know it, Lele's found the second lightbulb. "I got the black one!" she shouts, holding it above her head like a war trophy. 

"It says 5." she reads off.

"Oh!" My heart skips a beat. 

"There's one over here, too!" He runs to it, unscrews it, and checks it to make sure he's on the right track. He is. 

"It's the blue!" The number 2 stares back at him.

"One more," sighs Oli.

I investigate a lamp with four lightbulbs. Only three bulbs are still on.

 "This?" i ask.

"Yes!" Lele shouts. After a bit of unscrewing, I yank the lightbulb free. 

"Black," Eva murmurs. Her voice sounds like it's a million miles away.

"I have the black one!" Lele protests.

"What number is it?" asks Oli.

"I have..." Lele's examining her lightbulb.

 "I have grey. Never mind." I chuckle lightly. Eva places my lightbulb on the table next to the box.

 "It's a 1."