nineteen

After twenty-four hours of worrying and sitting among the others at the hospital, Hadlee finds herself becoming impatient and irritable.

"Hadlee, are you hungry?" William asks, being the third person within the last two hours.

She sighs heavily, "No, William. I'm not hungry. Thanks."

He nods, walking away and leaving her in the corner where she's been since they were allowed in the room.

She had been ignoring her phone, not wanting to pay attention to the many condolence text messages she was receiving from the other members of the empire. But, for some reason, she felt the need to look down at her phone this time, as it vibrates three times in a row. Rolling her eyes, she glances down, noticing the unknown number the three texts came from. She clicks on them, immediately noticing the two bruised and beaten faces in the two photos that were sent.

Acting as normal as possible, she gulps, standing up and walking towards the door.

"Hadlee-"

"I'm fine, I need some air," she cuts her mother off, exiting the room and rushing to the elevators. Once she's made it, she hops on and reads the text attached to the pictures.

You have thirty minutes... or they're dead.

Getting off the elevator on the first floor, she rushes outside and makes her way out of the main entrance. She then speeds up into a run, making her way back to the house and inside before grabbing her gun and the keys to her car.

Speeding off towards the warehouse she weirdly recognized, she finds her body trembling with adrenaline, wanting to save the girls lives... and do something with hers.

Arriving soon after, with ten minutes to spare, Hadlee exits her vehicle and approaches the door, staying about 50 feet away.

The door opens almost immediately, Javier coming into the floodlights that had turned on as she had walked up.

"Look who knows how to arrive on time."

"Cut the shit. Where are the girls?" she asks.

"Right here," he says, gesturing behind him where the two girls are escorted out of the building and into view.

Both of them look over with pleading eyes, also shocked at Hadlee showing up and not someone else.

"What's your plan, love?" he asks, a smirk playing on his lips.

"This is what's going to happen," Hadlee says, sighing and beginning to rid her body of weapons, throwing them all to the side. "You're going to let the girls go, and I'm going to stay with you. As your captive, considering that's what you actually want."

Javier watches as she throws the last weapon to the ground, placing her hands on her hips while keeping eye contact.

"Fine," he agrees after a moment, turning to his men. "Let them go."

His men do as their told, the girls stumbling over to Hadlee.

"Thank you," one of them shiver.

"Go to the hospital. There's a doctor by the name of Jeffery Anderson. Tell him Hadlee sent you. He'll take care of you," she informs them.

They nod, leaving the area and allowing Hadlee to face Javier once again.

"Stealing my girls are low. Even for you."

He smirks. "I had to get your attention somehow. Especially considering you didn't quite get the first hint."

Hadlee's face drops before it hardens once again. "You're the one who hit Justin."