1. Hark Back To...🦋

Start from the beginning

Peter died on his thirteenth summer in a car accident.

My chest felt heavy as my eyes started to burn with tears. We, all of his classmates carved our names on that bench, by our geometry compass. I had to leave all of those things, all of these memories behind.

"Liza, hurry up. We have to reach there before sunset," My mom shouted gleefully from downstairs. "It's getting late."

Anyone would notice sheer excitement in her voice. I couldn't blame her.

My family was also moving out with me, and that was the second big reason for leaving behind that house.

They were moving out not because of me, but dad's promotion. My dad got his promotion just a few days after my acceptance at London University. Dad's higher up person wanted him at their main office which was located in London.

Guess my dad really worked hard.

So, we all were busy with all the leftover things. Me, dad, mom and my little brother Mike.

That was actually good because my savings weren't sufficient to rent anything near my college at that moment. And I don't like to stay in the college dormitories.

So, for the time being, I planned to stay with them. I found some small apartment for my liking, but the locations were always so far from my university. And that was why I planned to use half of my savings to buy a car first. It was very painful to depend on other people or public transport. I really need a car first.

My mom was also very happy and excited about that whole 'moving' thing to London. Actually, before marrying my dad, she used to live there but had to move with my dad to there, Isle of Wight.

"Yeah, I am done, coming," I shouted back. I gently wiped my tears and quickly walked towards my remaining belongings. I hastily slung my backpack over my shoulder and hefted the loaded cardboard box, walked out of my room and struggled a little to close the door. Just before closing the door, I peeked at my room again for the last time and heaved a sigh.

When I reached downstairs, mom was closing the curtains of the living room. It was looking rather weird without our big black couch, glass coffee table and of course the tv.

We sent some of them to our new home and donated some of them to our local charity shop, Sobel.

After mom finished closing the curtains, she turned around to see me.

"Did you get everything?" Mom asked me. "Nothing left behind, right?"

"Yes, I think so," I answered casually as I put down that heavy cardboard box on the kitchen counter. It was an open kitchen with the living room.

"Your laptop?" Mom stared at the ceiling and tried to remember with a concentrated face what I could have missed. She looked funny.

"Yes."

"Charger?"

"Yes."

"Adaptor?"

"Seriously?!" I looked at her with disbelief.

"What!" Mom looked at me with an innocent look. "I always forget to bring them together."

"Well, I don't!" I tried to state the fact that I was not a forgetful person like her.

Mom affectionately looked at me with loving eyes. She leaned a little to the counter and smiled cordially at me.

"Do you know, I was so upset whenever I thought that you would leave us after your high school? And then your dad got his promotion. I was sad that I had to leave this house. I really love this place and this house." Mom looked down and picked up at the edge of the counter. "But when you said you wanted to live with us, I was so happy that your dad got promoted and we can still live together." She smiled at me. "It doesn't matter, even if the time is short."