28. Scandal 🦋

I slowly entered the house and looked around. I could hear some faint sounds from the kitchen. I searched for something and found a sea-green scarf on the coat stand. I pulled the scarf and wrapped up my upper arm to cover the purple hickeys all over my revealed arm and neck.

I inhaled sharply and slowly made my way to the kitchen. Everyone was sitting leisurely around the table, chatting and eating breakfast.

"Good morning." I greeted everyone with a fake cherry tone and smiled forcefully. Everyone looked up at me.

"Liza!" Mom said frantically, "Where have you been? What happened?"

"Nothing, mom," I said calmly as I carefully took a seat beside dad. "Last night, I was a little drunk." I cleared my throat. "So, we just stayed over."

"Yeah?" Mom squinted her eyes suspiciously.

"Yeah, mom." I felt uncomfortable under mom's eye, so I slowly got up from the chair.

"Did you have that scarf with you last night?" Arthur inquired me suddenly while chewing his mushroom.

I felt a cold sweat on my palms. "Yeah, why?"

"Nothing, it just doesn't fit with your dress." Arthur shrugged his broad shoulders.

"She always has zero sense about dressing." Mom mocked me smilingly.

I smiled thinly and secretly released a relieved sigh. I excused myself and headed upstairs. When I reached my room, I threw my belongings on my bed along with the scarf on my bed. I slowly entered the bathroom and removed the dress from my body. I stand in front of the sink and look at myself in the mirror thoroughly. I sighed tiredly. I had to use my turtleneck sweater, because of these prominent marks.

Suddenly, something caught my attention.

The necklace, which Ron gave me last night.

The necklace was wrapped around my neck, that whole time. I squinted my eyes. When I took a shower at the hotel, It didn't catch my attention at that time. Maybe because my mind was messed up at that time.

"Why do I still have it?" I took it off. Then I flung it away in the trash can. I didn't even care to look at whether it safely landed in the trash can or not. I wore a turtleneck sweater after putting on a simple t-shirt and wide-leg pants.

I slowly climbed on the bed and lied tiredly. I put a pillow between my legs and hugged it tightly. Rose and Oli would reach home by afternoon. I shouldn't disturb them just after their return. I would tell them everything the next day, at college. I closed my eyes, but my eyebrows were knotted with deep thoughts.

**********

"Wake up! Wake up! Wake uppppppp!"

I didn't know when I fell asleep. I woke up, by some shouting and furious shaking. I slowly got up and rubbed my eyes to clear the blur state of my eyes. I squinted my eyes and drowsily tried to see what was going on.

Thump!

I was startled when I saw Rose and Oli were sitting on my bed with a broad smile on their faces. My stomach instantly felt uneasy.

"Wha....wai....whe.....ho....I mea...." I tried to produce words, but couldn't.

"Ok, ok, calm down, calm down." Oli tried to soothe me and handed me the water bottle from my bedside table. I grasped the bottle from her and gulped down some water.

"Better?" Rose asked me merrily. I nodded my head.

"When did you guys come back ?" I asked them with a forced smile as I cleared my throat cautiously.