Chapter Thirty-two

Corey Anne's eyes were on the wide and empty road, her headphones loud, she stuck in her own world. She daydreamed of the freedom she was going to experience for the very first time in her life.

Unlike her friends, the blonde actually told her parents that she is skipping town and might never even be back. At that moment, her parents knew that they couldn't be against her plans because that would only drive her to really leave and never return or even to never stay in contact.

Her friend smiled and gently tapped her on the shoulder, causing her to take out her headphones.

She gave Gretchen a broad smile, "are we stopping?

Gretchen nodded her head and turned to look at Eugen the driver and stuck her tongue out for him. "Eugen and Ishaan is getting a bit tired so they suggested that we stop at this town,"

Anika cocked her head to the side, "still don't feel comfortable. Besides, we've never even heard of this place,"

Eugen pulled into the border of the town, 'Welcome To Sunnyside Lullaby,"

"Sounds like a peaceful place," Cory said as she skipped a song.

The town struck them as odd. It was empty. Not a single person could be seen, not a thing could be heard but Eugen just drove deeper maybe hoping that they'd find some sort of life.

They all looked out of the window for something, anything but it was quiet. The wind even stood still. No movement. They were basically speechless as they sat in silence. Eugen found a motel and drove up to it. The car stopped and the young adults got out of the green mustang.

Gretchen covered her eyes from the bright sun, "shoo... the town sure lives up to the "sunny" part of its name,"

Ishaan put the cap on his head and looked at Gretchen, he gave her a kiss on her cheek, "I'm going inside. See if we can find rooms,"

Gretchen nodded her head and watched Ishaan go. She looked at her friends, Anika took selfies while Cory looked for signal. Her stomach dropped, "Please don't tell me here's no signal?"

Corey looked at the bars in the corner of her phone and back at her friend. She loved how healthy the sun made her melanin appear. It's like it feeds it and makes her look even more glamouris. She shook her head, "none,"

Ishaan returned and even turned to give him attention.

"What you find?" Eugen asked.

"A sign that said to help myself. Someone will be here tonight. Anyways, I booked us in. Took three keys and left the money on the counter. Let's see what happens tonight,"

Cory nodded her head.

"Are you all expecting me to sleep alone?" Anika asked. She's the only one who doesn't have a boyfriend, they splat up this pass summer.

Cory looked at her long life friend and sighed, "of course not. I'm joining you. I'm sure Eugen can sleep on his own,"

Eugen frowned at Cory but looked at Anika and suddenly felt bad for her. He gave her a small smile and gave her an affirming nod. "Yeah. I'll sleep on my own,"

She gave him a huge smile and went to the trailer to get her bags and moved them into the room. Everyone else joined her.

Cory entered the room and threw her suitcase on the double bed. So she and Anika will be sleeping together, Gretchen must be jealous.

"This place gives me the creeps," Anika shared as she took off her blouse. "Think I'm gonna take a shower, the road was long,"

Cory nodded her head. "I don't like this place either but I doubt we're staying long,"

"Me too," Anika told as she took off her underwear as well. She scurried around the room looking for a socket to charge her phone. Her beautiful brown body anxiously making the rounds in the room before she finally entered the bathroom. That was Cory's cue.

She left in search for Eugen who was thankfully standing outside taking a smoke.

"Thoughts?" He asked as she made it to him. He threw his cigarette bud on the floor and killed it underneath his feet.

"Feel like we should have continued driving and skipped this town,"

Eugen laughed and shook his head. His light brown eyes met hers and he pulled her in for a long kiss. "I know. We won't stay here too long, I promise,"

She agreed. He took her hand and they walked around the beautiful empty homes. It was a decent town. White picket fences, green grasses. A beautiful park where they hung out for awhile. Empty restaurants it looked like a scary town being so quiet but it didn't change the fact that it looked very lovely.

"Let's get back to the others, I'm really getting exhausted," Eugen suggested. She agreed and they went back hand in hand.

Spending time with Eugen is always wonderful and the minutes always seems to pass by like seconds. Which she both hates and loves because there's never a dull moment with him and they always have something to share. Even when they have nothing on their minds, their silence are always peaceful.

She made it to her room. Anika was fast asleep. She reached for her Nokia and stepped outside real quickly.

She watched how the sun went behind the clouds and dialled her mother who immediately answered her phone.

"Hey Corey, how are you doing?"

She lit up, hearing her mother's voice is always so lovely and this time around it's the first time that she's been away from her for so long, "Mom. I'm doing great. How about you?"

"Ooh no complaints here. How's the little road trip?"

Corey shook her head with a smile. It's no little road trip. "Wonderful. We're staying at a motel of a ghost town. Exciting,"

"Ghost town?" Concern could be traced in her mother's voice. "That doesn't sound safe,"

"We'll be fine. Really. We're big now mom. We can take care of ourselves,"

She looked at the brilliant sky again. How it got darker with every second. The streetlights went on which was a relief for her and so did the Motel's sign. Life. That's what she was seeing right now.

"Anyways mom. I just called to tell you that we're safe and that I'm thinking about you. But I've got to go now because I'm very tired, haven't slept yet,"

"Of course sweetie. Bye Bye,"

She greeted her mom and returned to her room where she cuddled with Anika until she dozed off.