Chapter Twenty

I watched as mama danced with a stranger, she wore the brightest smile ever and I haven't seen her eyes twinkle like that in over years. After dada passed away mama hasn't been herself and she never looked at another man again, I assured her that I was fine with her moving on because I knew she was lonely. I knew she longed for a man of her own but perhaps she felt as if though she'd be betraying dada even when I told her that he'd want her to move on.

I loved joy on mama, it warmed my cold heart. I'll be honest though, I was supposed to be cold but I still feel like my old self. Aside from hunting, I'm still just Nicolene.

I leaned against the door frame of the entrance to the hall where all the cruisers were dancing their hearts out. Aviana stood next to me and I could sense her smiling.

"Good evening, " she greeted. She must have just woken up, probably already fed as well.

"How do you do, Aviana?"

I glanced over to the vampire, she dressed her thin lips in red which really complimented her pale skin. She smirked and looked into my eyes, "anxious. We must get you to train and most importantly we must have you turn humans already so that they can start training as well, "

I nodded my head, it made sense. "I have no idea what to do, with whom to begin, "

She sighed and observed me, "why don't we start with the captain? It's a start, isn't it?"

I shrugged and glanced over to where Grant was chatting with a woman. "Do you think I should change him too?"

Aviana shook her head, "I don't think so. I don't think you should be turn both your mom and Grant,"

"Why not?"

Aviana shrugged, "maybe we'd need them in their human state in the future. Right now they have the advantage of walking out in the sun and perhaps they could be our eyes and ears during the day,"

I nodded that made sense. "So... you expect me to just walk up to the captain and bite him?"

Aviana chortled and placed her hand on my shoulder, "why not?"

I wanted to tell her how wrong that is but she walked off before I could even open my mouth. I wasn't in the mood to dance or socialise so I decided to head back to my room. I stepped into the hallway and approaching me was the captain. He looked dashing in his bright white uniform and his hat. His golden buttons reflected marvellously off from him. He stopped every now and then to converse with those around him while wearing his bright warm smile.

I slowly walked towards him debating on whether or not I should stop and say hi. I've never been a strong speaker, I've always dreaded doing speeches on high school and if it wasn't for marks then I'd choose not to. My palms would become really sweaty and I would stutter. And eye contact only made it worse so I try to avoid that as much as I can.

We neared each other and the way he looked at me I could tell he was going to introduce himself. "Hello, dear, "

He spoke, his voice symphonic. I must admit he is rather handsome, he has faint lines when he smiles and has a neat but thick black moustache with traces of white hairs. He sparked me his friendly smile that made his pale blue eyes twinkle.

"Hello, sir... Captain, " I mumbled and wiped my open palms against my yellow dress. I was nervous what could I say? He's not only a man of power around here but I'm supposed to be getting him on my team.

He chuckled, "sir, captain, Sir Captain whichever you like, "

I looked at the man before for a few short seconds before I giggled. He has this energy that instantly calmed me.