Chapter Forty-four

"Why won't you just kill me?"

Nandi asked Valerie who scrubbed the weeping beauty. She felt dirty, felt like the last bit of joy and reason for living has been stripped from her. Valerie knew she would never understand what Nandi's going through, and she wasn't trying to pretend to know either.
She just say there besides the bathtub, and rubbed Nandi who sat there hopelessly crying.

"I know you can overcome anything, because you're strong. Although you don't feel victorious at this moment, never forget that you are,"

Nandi wiped her tears and looked into Valeries eyes, all the while Val ignored the princess and washed her back. "Why are you here? By my side? I've been nothing but horrible to you,"

Valerie chuckled, "with good reason too. I killed your father, and I don't care about it either,"

Nandi bobbed her head and bit her lower lip, "how can you do it? How are you so cold? Teach me how to shut off my emotions,"

Valerie stopped scrubbing Nandi and looked into her big black eyes, she was kind of hoping that Nandi was playing. But she wasn't. She seemed so serious. She saw how broken Nandi was behind those eyes, "I-I can numb the pain, but pain is an emotion one must go through and overcome. It is pain that strengthens an individual,"

Nandi let out a weak breath and tears streamed down her cheeks again, "I need something, like a drug. I can't continue like this, Val,"

Valerie sighed. It is against the law amongst the species to use ones power and ability for emotional pain and such. Because every species believes that emotion drives the person, it determines the persons character. But she knew that she had to help Nandi, even if it's in the slightest way.

She cupped Nandi's face and her silver eyes met Nandi's black gaze. Nandi focused on the glorious eyes of the stranger before her, they seemed to have a weird affect on her. Not just because she's staring into her soul this moment, but ever since she's laid eyes on them.
They're enthralling and she felt bad for seeing life and beauty whenever she looked into Valerie's eyes, because she is far from loving as her eyes make her seem. She's a ferocious monster. And Nandi vowed to herself that she'll never forget that, she'll never give Val a chance to crawl into her heart or mind. That's why she's so cold with Valerie, she fears that the image she has of Valerie crumbles and caves. And she sees humanity in a nightmare.

But now, her cold silver eyes seemed to warm her up. She doesn't know what Valerie is doing, but it's soothing. She felt the world fade. Her problems, fear, worries and pain. Gone. It felt like she got reprogrammed, programmed to bury all those taunting thoughts. Maybe because that's exactly what she did, she silenced Nandi's mind, making it seem like she took a pill.

Nandi blinked thrice when Valerie started washing her again, her hand sliding down Nandi's thighs. But Nandi was in a whole different world, still not connected with what's happening around her. When Valerie finished. She dressed Nandi and carried her to her bedroom where she tucked the princess in.

She stroked her head and kissed her on it. "Good night, princess,"

Nandi let out a small smile, a tired one. "Val, thank you," she stretched out and yawned.

"I'm just trying to make up for your father and the second thing I put you through, I promise I'll make it up to you for all eternity. For as long as life allows us in each other's lives,"

Nandi just grinned, she become more sleepy with each passing second. "Hey, can you sleep with me? Just for the night? I want to cuddle,"

Valerie raised an eyebrow. That's not something she does, that's not something that happened as she grew up. Never has she cuddled with The Count or her vampiric siblings. It felt strange to even think about it, she wriggled her head, "I think I'll pass,"

Nandi set her hand free from underneath the covers and held Val's freezing hand, "you won't die, you know?"

Valerie sighed and crept in besides Nandi, she just did it so that the princess doesn't feel alone. And because she still feels like she should make up for her pain. Nandi instantly wrapped her arms around Valerie's frosty body, the cold didn't seem to bother her. But it did bother Valerie, it felt unusual laying next to someone so warm. Next to someone who's heart beats so loudly, so fast. Whose scents is so divine.

The following sunset, Valerie woke up alone. She took a shower and joined the others for breakfast. Today, they're going after Simon then together they're going to Helena. It seems that their journey has finally came to a halt, she didn't think that she could do it. Sure it didn't run as smoothly as she had hoped, but at least they have the potion.

When the sun rested, the group prepared to leave. Valerie flies with her brother while Nandi flies with Turnilupo. She appeared to enjoy the thrill of riding a broom, flying in the night sky with a witch. It amused her. The journey had its moments and these rare moments are what she chooses to hold onto.

They found the place Simon now works at, with him they didn't waste time. They cloned them all, while the real Turnilupo waited outside with Nandi. It could get dangerous for her in there, it took them twenty minutes before they finally came out with Simon.

He was elated to see Nandi there and in good shape. She was happy to see him as well, they hugged each other and then they were in the air again. Four versions of Lupo flew around on their way to, Helena's. Simon, Valerie and Nandi each flew with their on witch.

They made it to Helena's safely. Gave her the potion back and stayed the night.