Epilogue

As I waited with Christina, we sat in silence. We were both too afraid of what could have happened to our baby to talk about anything.

Finally, after what'd seemed like days, the doctor came in. "So..." Christina squeezed my hand. "Your baby is alive. Breathing well, getting back on track. Seems the umbilical cord wrapped around the neck, but with any movement you had on the way here, the baby moved out of it. The pain was almost an indicator that something was wrong, which was the case. The baby didn't have much air for a while there, but is recovering very well right now. Keep taking care of it, and everything should be good. We'll have you stay here until around noon tomorrow just to be sure everything's fine. But you have little worries. Thanks for coming in so soon. Who knows what could've happened?"

With that, the doctor left, and Christina loosened her hand on mine. Loosened it so much that she wasn't even hanging on to it anymore.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Y.... Yeah. I'm fine," she answered, but her voice was shaking.

"Honey, everything's fine now. Okay? The baby's recovering very well. Everything'll be fine," I said and rubbed her back lightly.

"I know," she said. I could hear she was crying through her voice.

"What's wrong baby?" I asked quietly.

She turned to me before pulling me in for a hug. She just continued to cry into me without an answer.

"Huh? Tell me what's wrong, hon," I said.

"It was.... it was just so close," she said before losing it again.

I couldn't even look at her. I felt like maybe having another baby wasn't the right choice, considering what it caused us to go through over the past three months. I wouldn't tell her that, though. She was too stuck on the idea, and it was obviously too late now.

I just feared that after all of this, it wouldn't work out. The baby wouldn't be born healthy. Or it wouldn't be born at all. My biggest fear was that she'd get her hopes so high, she'd be so excited, and everything would come crashing down. I couldn't stand to see her a wreck. I knew that if she felt that it was something I couldn't fix.

So I let her hug me and cry. I let her fall asleep with her head on my chest in a hospital bed, and I let her get her hopes up. I just hoped nothing would come crashing down.

I just listened to her breathe for a while before I fell asleep.

Before 7:00, Christina was turning over to throw up in a bucket and I just laid on the bed with her. She stopped eventually, took a few sips of water, then leaned her head back on my chest and fell back asleep.

By 7:30 I was getting out of the bed, trying as hard as I could not to wake her up, even though I knew I'd fail.

"Stay," she mumbled as I got out.

"I'll be right back, hon. I gotta pee," I whispered before walking to the tiny attached bathroom. She groaned as I walked away and I just ignored her.

When I came back, I didn't get back in the bed. I knew she'd get more sleep if I wasn't underneath her.

"Bobby?" she mumbled in a whisper.

"Hm?"

"Haven't you always wanted to make love in a hospital?" she asked, still half asleep.

"Um... no. I haven't," I answered with a small laugh.

She just sighed in reply.

"Bobby?" she asked again.