Chapter 30

"Nervous?" Bobby asked after the nurse left the room.

"Yeah, kinda," I answered as I squeezed his hand.

"Don't be," he said.

"How can I not be? We've been coming weekly instead of monthly and last week they said the heartbeat hadn't gotten any stronger. What if it's over?"

"It's not over," he said, rubbing the back of my hand. "This one's a fighter, remember?"

I nodded and looked away.

"You don't believe me, do you?" he asked.

"I want to. I just can't. Do you believe you?" I answered.

There was no time for him to reply as the doctor walked in.

"Hello, how are we today?"

"As good as we can be," I said and tightened my grip on Bobby's hand.

Dr. Horstman smiled and looked at me. "Okay, 11 weeks along. You guys want an ultrasound I'm guessing?"

"Yes, please. Just to know the heartbeat, really."

"Alright, well, let's get that going," she said and started prepping me and the machine as it'd been for the past three weeks.

"Okay, here's your baby," she said and pointed to the screen.

The little bean shape looked slightly bigger! At least he/she was growing!

"Aaaand.... it seems as though the heartbeat is much stronger than it was last time," she continued.

I looked up at Bobby as we both listened to the heartbeat and he smiled down at me. I squeezed his hand again as Dr. Horstman continued.

"Your baby is almost completely healthy, just needs a slightly stronger heartbeat and you should be worry-free. I guess next week will be our last for weekly visits and we'll have to go back to monthly," she said.

"Thank you so much, Doctor," I said with a smile.

"You're the one looking after your baby, keep good care of the little thing. You want pictures of the ultrasound?"

I looked up at Bobby, who didn't give me an answer.

"No, not this week. We'll see you in a week," I answered before getting back into my own clothes and heading out with Bobby, still hand-in-hand.

"I told you it wasn't over," he said as we parted to get into the vehicle.

"Yeeeah," I said as he started the engine.

"I really do know best, don't I?" He asked.

"Oh, bringing that up again, are we? I'm not going to say it," I answered.

"You might not admit it, but I still know that you believe it in your heart," he said and took my hand.

"Whatever you say, Bobby," I answered with a smile.

"What do you wanna do?" he asked. "The boys are at your parents', we've got the day if we want it."

I thought for a minute.

"Maybe we could.... have a little brawl?" I suggested.

He looked at me and said, "It seems like forever since we last brawled."

"It's been, like, a matter of weeks!"

"Let's do it."

So we were off to our house.

After brawling for about a half hour, then playing the most recent Legend of Zelda game (I was almost at the end, then I could beat it!), Bobby suggested inviting people over.