Chapter 26

"Trick or treat!" Lucas said excitedly as the neighbor put three pieces of candy into his bag.

Ness couldn't talk, so he just dressed up and went along with us. Bobby and I had to walk up to the door with Lucas but he'd do all the talking.

One of us had to carry Ness, who was dressed as a cow. My love of cows had still not left, and when they were little you got to choose their costumes. Lucas was dressed as a teenage mutant ninja turtle. They still weren't out of style and the costume fit him perfectly.

"One more house, then we're going back home," I said as we walked down the street.

Lucas already had a pretty full bag of candy and we were pretty close to the house now. He didn't really answer, but I knew he'd heard me.

We went up to the next house and did the whole "trick or treat" thing as usual and he got candy and we walked home.

It was about 8:45. Pretty late for Lucas, so he'd be getting unhappy soon I'm sure. Ness was already fidgeting around as he grew fussier.

"I'll take him," I mumbled and held my hands out to Bobby. He gave me Ness and I took him into his room, ridding him of his adorable little cow costume.

I'd already sent pictures to everyone and posted it everywhere. I'm sure next year he'd have his own ideas of what to wear. But hey, there'd be another little one to dress up the way I wanted. Hopefully.

I slipped him into his footie pajamas and carried him into the living room. He crawled around the floor, standing up every now and then. He was getting closer to walking but could never quite take a step without falling. He was sure trying, though.

Lucas and Bobby were having a whole argument on taking Lucas out of his costume, and I knew he'd have a meltdown if we didn't let it go.

"You can wear it for 15 more minutes and then we're all gonna go to bed," I said.

He took my offer since 15 minutes seemed like a pretty good amount of time to him.

Bobby came over with him and they sat on the floor by me, taking out a memory game instead of CandyLand for once.

"C'mon, Ness. You can do it," I said quietly to him as he stood without moving.

He looked like he was making a decision.

"Bobby, I think tonight's the night," I said and turned to him.

He looked up from the game and nodded. "Me too, kinda."

I looked back at Ness and put my hands out. I was just far enough away that it'd be three steps for him to come get my hands.

"C'mon, I know you're thinking about it," I said quietly.

I saw his foot move off the floor and expected him to fall off balance as usual, but he continued moving until it hit the floor again. He was toddling around, but he was getting it!

"Bobby! Bobby!" I called excitedly without moving my eyes from Ness.

"I'm looking, I see it," he said from behind me.

Ness took the other two steps before falling into my arms.

"You did it, little guy! You walked! Don't you feel so accomplished?" I asked him excitedly.

"Mommy, mommy! Ness can walk now!" Lucas said excitedly before coming over to sit in my lap with Ness.

"I know," I said and felt Bobby move closer.

"Now we can go adventuring together!" Lucas cheered happily.

"Yeah, yes you can!" I said.

After a little celebration, we tucked Lucas in with his green blanket and Ness in, kissing them each on the head as usual.