Chapter 19

By 7:00 Monday night I'd successfully worked, gone grocery shopping, picked up Lucas and Ness, made supper and fed them, eaten my own supper, and was just finishing drying Lucas off after his bath.

Ness lay on a blanket on the carpet, rolling around and crawling to get different toys. He'd take breaks to gnaw on his teething rings, but was mainly moving around. Ever since he'd started crawling, he'd been on the move a lot. He didn't seem to go out of the room he was in, though. I think it's because he's scared of what might be in other rooms if he goes in alone.

"Okay, Lucas," I said as I carried him - wrapped in a towel - to his room. "What pajamas do you wanna wear tonight?"

He ran over to his dresser as I grabbed a Pull-Up. He was potty trained, but at night we always had to be sure.

"These ones!" he said as he ran over with Superman pajamas in his hands.

"Okay, come here!" I said as he started walking towards me.

I put his Pull-Up on as he squirmed around and started asking questions like crazy. He was a usual three-year-old.

"Where's Daddy?" he asked.

"Daddy," I paused and pulled his pants up, "is at a work thing."

"When's Daddy coming home?"

I quickly looked at my watch. "He should be here anytime now."

"Why aren't you with Daddy?" he asked as I pulled his shirt over his head.

"I don't work with Daddy," I answered and grabbed a pair of SpongeBob slippers for him.

"Where do you work?" he asked.

"I work," I started as I picked him up, "at the studio. Do you remember the studio?"

He looked at me in thought.

"With all the fancy celebrities?"

He continued to look at me without answer.

"Hmm..." I said, "We'll have to take you there again sometime. We can take Ness too now."

I then set him down. "You can play with your toys as long as you're down here, 'kay little munchkin?"

He nodded and ran off as I watched Ness. He was doing fine and I decided to clean up the bathroom. I went in and picked up Lucas's dirty clothes and wiped up the water on the floor with a towel. I took the towel and his clothes along with the towel he'd used to the laundry room.

I came back out and looked around the room. Everyone seemed to be cared for and no one was crying. Tonight was going pretty well for being alone.

"Lucas," I said as I picked up Ness, "I'm gonna get Ness in his jammies, can you behave down here?"

"Yes Mommy," he answered as he continued to put blocks on the tower he was making.

I went upstairs and changed Ness's diaper before putting him in pajamas. I glanced at the clock.

7:34. Shouldn't he be home by now?

I shrugged it off and continued taking care of Ness. I wasn't gonna nag him to get home ASAP. If he was out doing a work thing, he was out doing a work thing.

I grabbed a pacifier for Ness and decided he should probably go to bed now. Lucas really should too. So I laid Ness down in his crib and grabbed a teething ring for him.

He started fussing before crying. "I know, little guy, but you need your sleep," I whispered to him and kissed his head. "I love you."

I shut off the lights and came out, going straight downstairs.