Chapter 7

I laid down in bed as Bobby shut off the light. I leaned into him and he wrapped his arms around me as usual. And, as usual, I felt him by my ear.

"Sorry about earlier, by the way." he said softly.

"It's okay," I whispered back, "to be honest, if the kids weren't here, I just might have gone along with it."

I felt him smile and heard the familiar words that I heard every night.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

*****

I felt movement on the other side of the bed and realized Bobby's arms weren't around my waist anymore. I opened my eyes quickly and turned over.

"Is Ness up? Or Lucas?" I asked, alerted.

"No, no lay down, Christina. I have to go to work remember? You still have the day off but I don't."

I groaned and sighed as he got up. I turned over and shut my eyes and heard him go into the bathroom and start brushing his teeth.

Eventually the door opened and he walked over by the bed, leaned down and kissed the top of my head. I opened my eyes slowly and grabbed his hand, then started sitting up.

"I wish you didn't have to go today. You know, you could help me with the kids." I whispered.

He rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb and I smiled slightly.

"I wish I didn't have to go today either, but I'll be back before you even know it."

There was a silence. "And don't let the children drive you too crazy today."

"I think you mean child. There's only one that drives me crazy right now." I said. "But soon enough there'll probably be two. I can't wait for that." I said with sarcasm.

"Or maybe more." he said with a smile.

I gaped at him. "We can talk about that later." he said as I let go of his hand.

"Well, bye. I'd kiss you but I have morning breath." I broke the silence.

"I don't mind morning breath if I can kiss you good-bye." he replied and leaned down to kiss me before I could protest.

I smiled at him and laid down.

"See you later." I said as he walked out.

"Before you know it." he replied and shut the door.

Before I know it. I thought as I drifted back off to sleep.

*****

I quickly changed Ness's diaper and started snapping his onesie on and I heard the opening of a door and then Lucas's screaming.

"Daddy's home! Daddy's home!"

"Looks like your daddy's home..." I mumbled to Ness as I carried him into the living room.

I met Bobby and Lucas at the door.

"Hey, Daddy, how was your day at work?" I greeted him as he walked into the kitchen.

"Pretty good, Mommy, other than the fact that I missed you and you," he tapped Ness on the nose, "and you." he picked up Lucas, who'd been trying to get Bobby to pick him up since he got home.

"And how was your day at home?" he asked.

"Pretty good. Other than we missed you. And someone," I glanced at Lucas, "wouldn't take a nap today."