Chapter 39

I didn't even remember getting up, yet I woke up next to the toilet. I must've had a mishap last night. Sometime after the pickles, obviously.

The real question I had was how did I get Bobby to let go of me?

I glanced into the bedroom and, sure enough, he was sitting up, awake.

"Hey, you okay?" he asked.

"I just fell asleep by a toilet is all," I said. That was when I noticed it was dark out.

"So after throwing up for fifteen minutes you slept next to the toilet for another ten?" he asked.

"What time is it?" I rubbed my eye as I came into our bed.

"3:24," he answered.

"What happened? I don't remember anything," I said and laid down.

As he got situated he started telling me what happened. "Well, you were really trying to get out of bed, but I was, of course, holding you in here with me. So you got me up and practically sprinted to the bathroom. When I tried to come in you freaked out and said you were fine. After about fifteen minutes of that the vomiting seemed to have stopped so I sat here and waited for you. I was guessing you were trying to be sure that you didn't need to puke again, but I guess you fell asleep."

"Why don't I remember anything?" I asked.

"Well, you were probably still half asleep. It's early, and you barely slept tonight."

"Why do you hang on to me so tight?" I asked after I felt his arms around me as usual.

"I don't know; it's just an instinct," he answered.

"What if I couldn't have woken you up?"

"You would've puked all over the bed and the floor," he answered.

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see it. "You really need to work on that."

"Why?" he asked. "Are you planning on making an escape in the middle of the night?"

"No I just want to be able to get out of the bed if I have to pee or get a drink of water or if I'm about to puke without needing to wake you up," I answered.

"If I minded I wouldn't grab you so tight," he said.

"It's not that I worry about you minding it's that I want you to get sleep even if I'm awake," I replied.

"What if I don't want to sleep if you're awake?" he asked.

"Although that's very nice and cute and sweet, I'd rather one of us gets a decent amount of sleep than both of us not getting a decent amount of sleep," I answered.

"That's too bad, my dear. You're my wife and you're carrying our third baby and I'm going to stay up with you whether you're vomiting everywhere or you're singing on a stage or you're getting the mail," he said.

"When would I be getting the mail at 3:30 AM?" I asked.

"I don't know; why would you be puking at 3:30 AM?"

"Because I'm sick and pregnant," I answered.

"Touché... But I'm going to sleep now. And don't be mad at me if you can't get up for a few hours unless you wake me up," he said.

"I love you," he finished.

"I love you, too."

"Thank God," he said quietly.

*****

"Lucas?" I mumbled through my sleep. Someone was in our room, I heard them walk in. They woke me up.