Chapter 37

"What happened?" I asked worriedly when we'd rushed into the car and started driving.

"Something about stairs and then a lot of crying... I don't know. I just understood that we better meet them at the E.R. ASAP," Bobby answered.

It was then that I noticed my vision was growing blurrier as we drove on. I was getting extremely nervous, especially because I had no idea what had happened and how bad anything was.

"Hey, hey, calm down. He's gonna be okay," Bobby said as he put his hand on my knee.

"You don't even know exactly what happened. How in the world do you know that he's gonna be okay?" I snapped.

"Because he was inside. On the steps. Not running in the street before being hit by a semi. What's the worst that it could be? A few broken bones? Just calm down, it'd be best for everyone if no one panicked."

"Cass doesn't even know," I mumbled and looked out the window.

"Hm?"

"Cass. She's picking up food. What's gonna happen when she gets to our house and no one's there anymore?" I asked and turned back to him.

"Do you have your phone on you?" he asked.

"Nope," I answered, wiping away a tear.

"Good thing I do," he said with a smile and pointed to my phone, which was sitting on the dashboard.

I picked it up and started texting Cass. Parents called. We're on our way to the E.R. Don't know what happened exactly, but it's Lucas. Just meet us there.

"Why did you have my phone on you and why did you ask if I had it when you did?" I asked before sending a secondary text. Don't forget the food.

"I forgot I had it, and I picked it up when your mom called, so I must've just brought it in here with me. Am I supposed to remember to leave your phone at the house next time?"

"Why did you pick up my phone?"

"You're sick. I don't expect you to be all cheery and then you'd have to explain what was up and it would just make a longer phone call. It's easier if I just pick it up for you," he replied.

"As if me being sick is that big of a deal," I muttered.

"Just let me call you sick and baby you for once in your life. Because you are sick and when you're sick you should be laying in bed all day and taking medication and eating only bread and butter and drinking lots of water and having someone take your temperature and constantly check up on you," he said as we pulled in to the E.R.

"I'm surprised there's only, like, four paparazzis here. It's been our regular hangout for the past month," I mumbled sarcastically as we walked in.

Not too long after walking in, we found our parents and Ness and heard the entire story.

"To summarize," I said to Sarah, Lauren, Mark, and Jon after they'd shown up, "Lucas was running down the stairs and fell at the bottom. There was a cracking noise followed by lots of crying - Bobby's dad does a great impression of it - and now we're here. He's currently getting an X-ray and they'll bring us," I signaled to Bobby and me, "into his room once he gets back."

"So..." Sarah said with a sigh.

"There's one question left," Mark said. "Can I hear the impression?"

We all laughed quietly as Bobby told him that if he asked Bobby's Dad he would happily impersonate for him.

Before I knew it, we were brought into a room where Lucas was. He was sitting on a bed, still crying, and pretty much looked the most miserable I've ever seen a three year old.