Chapter 24

I took a bite of my pizza and gave Ness a little piece of the crust. His teeth had finally grown almost all the way in, and he was eating more and more foods outside of purées.

"Tomorrow," I said before swallowing, "we have an appointment for this one," I pointed at Ness, "and for this one," I pointed at my stomach.

"Yeah, I know," Bobby answered before having another bite of pizza.

We still hadn't told Lucas about baby number 3. We figured we'd wait until he could actually tell that I was having a baby, because it seemed hard for him to process if he couldn't see that there was a baby coming soon.

"I was just making sure you remembered," I said as I took a bite of pizza.

We were in the living room now, instead of the table as usual. Lucas was on the floor, Bobby on one side of the couch, me on the opposite, and Ness in between us.

Lucas was too busy watching his cartoon to notice anything we were doing. Bobby and I were taking turns feeding Ness, whether it was some of his vegetable purée or a piece of crust or a Cheerio, which we had in one of Lucas's containers sitting between his legs.

Bobby fed him a Cheerio and I took a bite of pizza while I waited for him to swallow. He swallowed and I gave him a small spoonful of his purée.

We continued eating in silence, other than the cartoon and laughter and excitement from Lucas every now and then. There was one point where Ness just started laughing hysterically for no apparent reason.

We cleaned up after that, giving Ness time to calm down as we set him on the floor to crawl. I threw away the pizza box as Bobby put the dishes in the dishwasher.

After finishing up with that, I joined Lucas and Ness in the living room. Ness crawled over to me and looked up at me, putting his hand on my leg, as close to my knee as he could manage from his knees. I picked him up and sat him on my lap before putting my thumbs in his hands and he gripped them tightly. I let him slither down so his feet were touching the floor and I stood up behind him. He slowly loosened his grip on my thumbs and I let him go.

I looked at him as he stood, without any support from anything. The first time I'd seen that happen.

"Bobby!" I called excitedly.

"What?" he asked as he walked toward me in the living room.

"Look! He's doing it! He's standing!" My excitement level was pretty high.

"I see that," he answered and stared at Ness. "That's good, little guy! You're getting it, aren't you?"

Bobby was excited too, he just didn't show it as freely as I did.

Lucas turned around in curiosity.

"Ness is standing!" he said excitedly.

"Yeah, he is," I answered as he walked over to me. I put my arm around him in somewhat of a backwards hug.

Ness lost his balance and fell down and Bobby picked him up.

"Man, you got that down pretty well, don't you?" he asked, a tinge of amazement in his voice as he looked at Ness.

"Can he walk?" Lucas asked excitedly.

"I don't think he can yet, little munchkin. But he will soon enough," I answered.

We all went to the couch, just to relax for awhile while we watched Lucas's cartoon. Lucas sat on my lap and Ness was on Bobby's. I stroked my fingers through Lucas's hair as he watched the show.

After the show ended, Lucas got off my lap. "It's bath night," I said.

"Noooooo," he whined.

"C'mon, you don't mind bath night, do you?" I asked.